Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: bush vetos stem cell research

Just embroyonic, and only federal funding. Private labs can still do research with them. I'm not sure what sort of explicites are included (like if it can happen in fed funded facilities without that particular part being funded etc).
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Stopping the funding of any additional embryonic stem cell research was part of Bush's platform when he ran. People voted for him because of his 'pro-life' stand. Federal funds are available for all work done with 'existing' embryonic stem cell cultures, and 'ALL' adult stem cell research.

Almost all of the advancements made in stem cell research have been made with adult stem cells. Embryonic stem cells add the additional problem of being rejected by the recipient. Now that problem may or may not be overcome but it just adds to the complications of something that has shown few results so far. A few promises are made for 10 years down the road. And if they don't materialize no one will remember because some other research will have already done the job

Recently a few people were caught falsifying their work with embryonic stem cells. Why? To make it look more promising that it really is? Im sure there's allot more money to be made harvesting human embryos then saving placenta.

Bush said even before his first election he was against the degradation of mankind brought about by harvesting human fetuses. Maybe it is...maybe it isn't. Hell i don't know. But i do know that makes bush a man of his word. He said it and he stuck by it. So why all the shock and dismay...people voted for what he's doing.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Is anyone who voted for him in shock and dismay? Most of the bush supporters I know, even if they've changed their mind about stem cell research in the last 6 years, like the fact that he didn't change. I don't agree with his decision but I didn't vote for him.

From a science standpoint his decision will not make all that much of a difference. Research will continue privately funded and funded nationally in other countries and the main loss to the US will be an economic one if American labs are not the ones making the breakthroughs. But then again, like you said, embroyonic research has still yet to show whether or not it has practical value. May
    end up keeping us from a further deficeit if it's not federally funded.

Oh, and where did you here about the embroyonic stem cells getting rejected? I have not read anything about that. Have any sources?
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Dalek. It's important to note that your bioweapon post was sourced from an opinion column and therefore not subject to factual verification by the publisher. I found the rest of the opinion column interesting also.
    Closer to home is a similar field the U.S. government is now aggressively funding â?? biodefense. Over the next two months, the Center for Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Diseases at the UT Medical Branch in Galveston will, along with other universities nationwide, submit proposals to the federal government to build one of a possible two national biocontainment labs. These high-containment facilities are equipped to study some of the world's most lethal and infectious diseases and biological agents. If UTMB wins the bid, it will be a victory for the UT System as it expands and strengthens the center's pre-existing expertise.

The type of research that would happen at UTMB would be a key to better understanding how lethal infections work. It would offload the strain on government agencies like the CDC that have less time and resources to commit to basic academic research.

As good as this sounds, people should not put blind trust into such institutions. So far, UTMB intends to stay away from the type of classified research occurring at military institutions. However, there will always remain the possibility that UTMB could take classified contracts for the center and, in effect, limit the public's knowledge of their activities. Without heightened vigilance and support from the local and scientific community, UTMB could become as much of a national security liability as Fort Detrick.

Farukhi is an economics senior.
    Creating cures for bioweapons is kind of like white hat hacking. You have to find the vulnerabilities/strains of bioweapons in order to develop a fix/preventative/cure. All that being said, I agree that the U.S. most likely supplied Iraq with bioweapon technology; and that action was a horrible decision which we are paying for in our current situation in Iraq.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

Originally posted here by The Grunt
    Is anyone who voted for him in shock and dismay? Most of the bush supporters I know, even if they've changed their mind about stem cell research in the last 6 years, like the fact that he didn't change. I don't agree with his decision but I didn't vote for him.

From a science standpoint his decision will not make all that much of a difference. Research will continue privately funded and funded nationally in other countries and the main loss to the US will be an economic one if American labs are not the ones making the breakthroughs. But then again, like you said, embroyonic research has still yet to show whether or not it has practical value. May
    end up keeping us from a further deficeit if it's not federally funded.

Oh, and where did you here about the embroyonic stem cells getting rejected? I have not read anything about that. Have any sources?

The Grunt

the original place it was published i dont recall. i read it for my own edification some time last year...but i have been following it and not just saying if bush is for it, it's bad. im not accusing you of this but it seems to be a recurrent theme.

as an aside:
    even taking the 2 year cycle of mars around the sun by our time into consideration, it's ice caps are melting and there is some chatter about planetary heating happening there. this will not be news until the media finds a way to blame bush for it. (this you can look up yourself 'cause im getting sleepy)

BRISBANE, March 22, 2005 (LifeSiteNews.com) - Dr. Alan Mackay-Sim and his small team of researchers at Griffith University have just published the results of a four-year study of stem cells obtained from the inside of the nose. Their work shows once again that adult stem cells can be made to change into any cells in the body without the medical or ethical problems of embryo cells. Mackay-Sim said almost any kind of tissue in the body could be obtained from olfactory stem cells including heart cells, brain cells and nerve cells, without immune system rejection or formation of tumors.

Here
    How many humans have been treated by embryonic stem cells? Zero. Indeed, before human trials can even be safely undertaken researchers will have to overcome two serious difficulties that stand between patients and embryonic-cell regenerative medicine: 1) ES cells cause tumors, and 2) ES cells may be rejected by the immune system. Surmounting these difficulties — if they can be surmounted at all — will take a very long time and much expense. There is no risk of rejection with adult cells, by contrast, because they come from the patients' own bodies. Nor, at least so far, does adult-stem-cell therapy appear to cause tumors. This puts adult therapies years ahead of the game.

And Here
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”