Thread: Defcon 06

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Defcon 06

Did anyone go to this event? If so, any impressions on the overall experience?

TIA

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Hey Hey,

I didn't attend but several of my colleagues did... They said the parties and outside events were great but that the talks just didn't seem the greatest... Their exact words were "Either we're getting smarter or the talks are getting worse" or something along those lines... A lot of big names presented at only one of the talks (Black Hat)

They will be doing a review of some of the talks on http://blog.ncircle.com -- Check out one post that's already up and note the irony of it @ http://blog.ncircle.com/archives/2006/08/post.htm.

Also, for those in the GTA area, they, along with other attendees will be doing a review at an upcoming TASK meeting, check it out @ http://task.to.

Peace,
    HT

Hmm...it was my first time there and my first thought was Jeebus it was crowded and on the disorganized side (at first)...I was told that it was quite a step up (location wise) from the previous conferences, but it was still jam-packed and fighting through the crowd to get a decent seat was a royal pain...There was alot of pretty cool stuff going on though (automated robots shooting targets (contest), CTF, Wall of Sheep, tons of gear/junk, and the lockpick village (not to mention the talks)...and of course the spot the fed had an interesting twist of someone sleeping with an attendee and then reporting him as a fed

The quality of the talks varied WIDELY...some were great (most of the great ones were ones that were given at BlackHat, which I was happy about cause I didn't get to hear them all at blackhat since around 7 talks or so would go on at once)...and of course the parties were fun...still trying to recover from that trip...some of the talks were just uhm....bad.

I can elaborate if you wanted more comments, but it seems you are just after general impressions...
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)