Thread: Avast problems

Avast problems

Hi there, haveing a few problems with me antivirus. i have avast, and it has been fine for a long time, then it just stopped updating. I have tryed doing it manually, and tryed updating the program but no, so i thought about uninstalling it and reinstalling it, only to find out I can't uninstall it, this rings alarm bells for me, how do I get it off my computer?

Yours as ever

Fruit salad Frond
    Sarcasm is a way of life

You didn't mention what version of avast it is, it appears they are not offering updates for version 3 or below. Not being able to uninstall it is almost surely a bad thing or it could be that the uninstall just doesnt work if the process is still running. Have you tried removing it while in safe mode?

Check This:

Cheers:
    DjM

try on safe mode, if it does not work you will have to install and unistall again but before you unistall meake sure you are in safe mode with networking so you can run an online scan .

good luck with that

Hi Jonny,

i have avast, and it has been fine for a long time
    So have I. You need to re-register it every 14 months, so it might be worth trying a re-registration?

Also, please check the program (click on desktop icon) and see that the automatic updates option is still set to "on"

I guess that my first move would be to download the latest version (even if it is the same) and just try a reinstall over the top of the existing one.

It lives in a folder called "Alwil Programs"..................I have had a quick look, but I cannot see an uninstaller.

Usually, with AVs and firewalls you need to use their uninstaller, because it knows what to turn off to do the job. Otherwise you will have to do it in safe mode.

I would still try a re-installation over the top of the existing one as a first step. I would also try that in safe mode.

Thanks for all your help, I have a better understanding now, as it happens, mr Nihil was (cue the gay camp comment) my knight in shining armour, and it all now seems to be updated. Lovely

Jonny Hello Sailor Frond
    Sarcasm is a way of life