Thread: Firewall Mozilla issue

Firewall Mozilla issue

Hi there, yes me again, further to my problem of not being able to get my email client to work anymore (Thunderbird) I opted to go back to mozilla suite as I did prefer it to the separate ones thunderbird and firefox, only to find that I could not connect to the internet at all with the message "connection refused when trying to connect to....".

Well I can connect now, but not with zone alarm running, is anyone familiar with this issue. Seems a little silly to connect to the internet without a firewall, it's like not being able to get out of the front door in the middle of winter because you have some clothes on.

Jonny not a nudist Frond

p.s. if anyone has an answer to the clothes in winter one too.......
    Sarcasm is a way of life

Zone Alarm's got some settings you can toggle for individual programs. Just look for Thunderbird in the program settings in Zone Alarm and toggle the settings accordingly.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

only to find that I could not connect to the internet at all
    Assuming that it wasn't some sort of temporary glitch with your ISP, and that ZA really is blocking your internet connection. I would remind you that it has two options you get to by right clicking the icon in the task bar. These will lock the internet and stop all internet activity.

The standard ZA icon should then be replaced by a padlock symbol.

I would look to see that neither option is checked.

Given the problem that you had with Avast! AV, I would consider downloading ZA again and doing a clean install. It might possibly have got corrupted?

there is also the posibility that your pop3 server settings have been change by Zone alarm

1. check the POP3 server settings, Zone alarm sometimes change the incoming to your NIC ip address 127.0.0.0 , correct if necessary

2. open the attachement, check if your zone alarm is blocking the access to mozilla to the nternet

3. delete zone alarm internet logs, here is a tutorial on how tohttp://www.dshield.org/clients/zonealarm3_setup.php

Good luck

OK, Zone Alarm is set to allow Mozilla and firefox and thunderbird, yet I can only get on if I disable Zone alarm.

Firefox works
    Internet Explorer works
    and Outlook Express works
    Mozilla Suite doesn't
    and Thunderbird doesn't.

All of these are checked to allow on all four of the little ticks now. Personally I don't think it is pilot error, as all I did which originally caused to problem was to update thunderbird when it prompted an update.

I have uninstalled all mozilla suite and thunderbird and then reinstalled Mozilla.

I dare not touch firefox, as it is working and if that goes down, I have no internet but for IE.

I think redflush might have a point except that I have the free version which does not have any of the settings in the tutorial posted.

any other clues?

Flumoxed Jonny
    Sarcasm is a way of life

Jonny,

Did you check those two settings I mentioned?

Also, try a clean reinstall of ZA (make sure that Avast! is switched off when you do it).

Mr Nihil, I tip my hat to you again, I just had a Zone Alarm update prompt, so I went for the clean install, and now everything is working properly, seems it must have got corrupted somewhere down the line when I did the thunderbird update.

Have you thought of writing a hit single?

Jonny big nose Frond
    Sarcasm is a way of life