Windows XP computer seems completely hopeless - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows XP computer seems completely hopeless

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Hmmm... On startup, when you see the bios splash screen, there might be an option saying something like "press f11 for recovery"... Or atleast something similar. This is because a lot of vendors now put the recovery CD's on a hidden partition of the HDD... Once you enter the recovery partition, the vendors software starts up and it's easy to figure out what to do from there....
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Super Moderator: GMT Zone nihil's Avatar
    If there is such an option you may have to go into BIOS setup and deactivate "quick boot", or enable "display boot options".

Otherwise it is frequently F8 to "display advanced boot options"

Somehow I doubt that it has this feature, as AFAIK, ASUS only make laptops as a complete PC offering?

What makes me doubt that it is a branded PC is that it has XP and only 128Mb of RAM, I have only seen a very few machines with 256Mb and that was pre-SP1. I have never seen anyone offer an XP box with only 128Mb.

It may say "ASUS" on the case, but they do make cases and power supplies
    If you cannot do someone any good: don't do them any harm....
    As long as you did this to one of these, the least of my little ones............you did it unto Me.
    What profiteth a man if he gains the entire World at the expense of his immortal soul?

Originally posted here by The Duck
    Hmmm... On startup, when you see the bios splash screen, there might be an option saying something like "press f11 for recovery"... Or atleast something similar. This is because a lot of vendors now put the recovery CD's on a hidden partition of the HDD... Once you enter the recovery partition, the vendors software starts up and it's easy to figure out what to do from there....
    I know that my computer has that option , but i dont think that -that- one does.

on another note, im having a lot of truoble making a set of floppy recovery disks; im gonna have to ask my friend for help. And my entire family is completely being unappreciative of my efforts and well i feel like taking the selfish route and just ****ing them off. Its not my computer anyway. >=o

[They told me to look for the damn installation disks (in a spot i throughly searched) when i spent a full FIVE days looking for it and they did **** and they're tellling me that im ****. **** THEM. Then they could see that I was angry while i was searching and said "why dont go back to your computer. its all you care about anyway"]

you know what? I'm giving up. thanks everyone for your help. It was very appreciated, but im not gonnna care about this anymore.

Super Moderator: GMT Zone nihil's Avatar
    OK pal, I can fully understand your feelings, but if you do want to do it, please send me a PM..........we can report how we did it after?

One thing I will say, is that with XP on a box with only 128Mb of RAM, it would not take much crap to tip the balance, and make it unusable

It must have shipped with 98SE or ME.............. so they lost the CDs they spent all that money on?

Like I said, if you have a genuine version, MS will replace it for thirty bucks......................

If you cannot do someone any good: don't do them any harm....
    As long as you did this to one of these, the least of my little ones............you did it unto Me.
    What profiteth a man if he gains the entire World at the expense of his immortal soul?