Anyone familiar with this software?

Thread: Anyone familiar with this software?

Anyone familiar with this software?

I am a field tech in network operations for a regional provider of phone and aDsl service. We work off of laptops called Go Books with are loaded with software called Tech Access. Several times a day my ability to access information via the built in radio will not work. It will show on radio strength that I have more than required signal to send and receive but it repeatidly times out and costs me time on my performance. None of the supervisors nor the technician that in is charge of all of the laptops can provide an answer to this problem.

Anyone with helpful info would be appreciated. I have tried google and I have read all the manuals that come with this computer. The help desk has not be helpful either. Thanks

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Have you checked with the provider of the software/laptop solution?

Is this a COTS sort of solution, this "Tech Access"? Just because the radio signal is strong does not mean other things are slowing down processing.

You have given us very little info, but my keen deductive reasoning tells me that there is not much you can do. You have a strong signal strength, but radio frequency transmission as a medium for data is good only until you have any sort of cross-talk or interference...which is almost always. The degree of interference determines the amount of degredation and error correction you have to consider.

I doubt there is anything you can do in your scope of influence to remidiate this.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Hey Zencoder. Its not off the shelf software its limited really to telco employees, manufactured by telcordia. And I dont think it has anything to do with the radio because I can connect it to land line and dial in to a server and it still will give me trouble. I'm begining to think that it is just a flaw in the coding that is causing the trouble. Im not really sure, software is not my expertise. But it is really frustrating because we are judged by our time per task. I spend 20 minutes several times a day restarting my laptop and loggin back into the servers and redispatching on my tickets. Anywho, I was hoping there might be someone familiar with this software that could help.

AOs Resident Troll
    are you the only one that is having this issue??

Try a different machine...

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

AO Senior Cow-beller
    $up3r00st3r sorry, I really don't know, then. Personally, I'd make a formal statement of it to my boss. Do you have company email and such? I'd send an email (for tracking and documentation reasons) and indicate that the problems with the company provided software is impacting your work performance, and you have requested support and not received any sort of decent response.

Make it their problem. You can not do the job to the level they expect you to, because THEY won't fix the problem, or train you on how to overcome the problem, as you are experiencing it.

It may not be a technical solution...I'm not trying to disparage you, but maybe there is something you are doing wrong, or not doing the way you should, but they haven't explained it or told you...if that impacts how you work, but they haven't explained/trained/told you, it's not exactly your fault. Get me?

Stick it to the Man! xD
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Morganlefay, this is somewhat of a common occurance among many techs. It has been taken to my first level supervisor a number of times and he has no answer. Next in line is the level and a half supervisor who is in charge of these laptops and all he will do is hand me another which might have a different problem. And the problem is random. I can send and receive information for several customers but then all of a sudden I must be holding the stylus wrong and bam is starts timing out. What I mean by timing out is: While closing a job the communications window will say sending information, then recieving information and it will usually only take about 1 minute for either. But when timing out it will take as long as 5 minutes to do both and then it returns a message saying send/receive fail, try again. So I try again with the same results. So then I have just spent 10 minutes trying to close a job. And it still has not allowed me to go to my next one. When you put into thought the fact that I get only about an hour per job and this happens several times a day. You can see where the frustrations appears. I have and will continue to complain about it. Hopefully one day they will set me up on the cingular wireless internet for this thing and this issue will disappear. Thanks for your help.

Finally

The squeeky wheel got some grease. Tech Access sent out a patch for the server software we connect through. And now I only loose about half as much time as I was loosing before.

AOs Resident Troll
    The squeeky wheel got some grease.
    Usually does....

glad you resolved your issue...if it is company wide...then your IT department needs to work with the vendor...or look at a new product.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer