Microsoft's security meeting - hidden agenda or not?

Thread: Microsoft's security meeting - hidden agenda or not?

Microsoft's security meeting causes unease

Hasn't Microsoft always been there competitor?
    But if they havn't then it may be controversey to halt the meetings for the sake of consumer protection! But run by Microsoft they will be biased and hidden agendas are likely to be under the table.

But they have a huge advantage, their products are free - which is more than others can say!

What do you think of this?

Sort of renders anti-trust laws obsolete, eh?
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

come down to this... would you trust a security product from MS????

They can't get their flagship products secure (http://www.theregister.com/2006/07/2...ver_ms_office/)

(and errm...dare I say outlook)_

why oh why would anyone trust MS for a security product

(don't get me wrong i LIVE in an MS world... I just know what it's limitations are
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Hey Hey,

I can see boh sides of this...

Imagine sitting down Tenable, Qualys, nCircle, eEye and Foundstone and asking them to share their secrets... I'm sure that isn't going to happen... but be serious now... This isn't vulnerability detection... it isn't productivity software (office, etc).... it's AV... it sits in the background and it all does the same regardless... I think these conferences are a great thing in that case... Everyone should be on the same page... None of them really have anything special... and I doubt these meetings focus on specific software features...

jiggy: I'm not sure how you figure that MS AV is free... 49.95/year... Symantec (Norton) is 89.99 to buy and then 29.99/year for upgrades... so let's round..50/year for MS... 90 to buy Norton and 30 to maintain it...

These are accumulating charges
    Year 1:

MS $50
    Norton $90

Year 2 (Total Cost to Date)

MS $100
    Norton $120

Year 3 (Total Cost to Date)

MS $150
    Norton $150

Year 4 (Total Cost to Date)

MS 200
    Norton 180

(You can see where I'm going with this... and considering symantec regularly offers discounted 20 and 25 dollar renewals.... Norton is cheaper and MS is the more expensive software solution)... You could say people will upgrade before then... I say BS.. I know plenty of people running pre-2000 versions of Norton...

Brokencrow: Please explain what this has to do with anti-trust.... meetings to collaborate on technology??? Most professions do this

zigar: I wouldn't call office it's flagship product (generally there's only one, which is Windows IMO)... Anyways... MS has fairly decent product security... They have what.. 5 - 8 updates per month... Ubuntu on average gives me more updates to install... SuSE has at least that many... I have faith in MS for security products... Defender is great... I haven't tried their AV But I'm guessing it's good too... In the last couple years MS has scooped up a lot of great security vendors.. with the addition of SysInternals that's only going to get better..

I think the other AV Vendors are mad that MS is in the business... and the website wanted an article...

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

T3h Ch3F

Errrrrrrrrrrr....

Sorry, I just couldn't help myelf.................Smelled too much like teen spirit.

I am personally tired of every Joe Smoe jumping on the Anti MS bandwagon. I will bet dollars to doghnuts, that 99% of the idiots that post anti-MS "propaganda" use XP, or even better Windows 95.

Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

Re: Errrrrrrrrrrr....

Originally posted here by Galdron
    Sorry, I just couldn't help myelf.................Smelled too much like teen spirit.

I am personally tired of every Joe Smoe jumping on the Anti MS bandwagon. I will bet dollars to doghnuts, that 99% of the idiots that post anti-MS "propaganda" use XP, or even better Windows 95.

You must spread your AntiPoints around before giving it to Galdron again.
    Too Bad... But since this thread is garbage.. let's put it to use...

When are ya coming up to cook for me

Peace,
    HT
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

T3h Ch3F

Re: Re: Errrrrrrrrrrr....

Originally posted here by HTRegz
    Too Bad... But since this thread is garbage.. let's put it to use...

When are ya coming up to cook for me

Peace,
    HT

Just got back from Hong Kong, two weeks of eating the most incredible food! I will be in Toronto next month for a few days. Wanna take me to the Brass Rail? (does that place still exist?)

Re: Re: Re: Errrrrrrrrrrr....

Originally posted here by Galdron
    Just got back from Hong Kong, two weeks of eating the most incredible food! I will be in Toronto next month for a few days. Wanna take me to the Brass Rail? (does that place still exist?)

It definately still exists.. had a "dancer" and her over-sized ape of a body guard take me for over $200 for a 5 minute dance while there....

We should definately hook up while yer here..

Peace,
    HT

T3h Ch3F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Errrrrrrrrrrr....

Originally posted here by HTRegz
    It definately still exists.. had a "dancer" and her over-sized ape of a body guard take me for over $200 for a 5 minute dance while there....

We should definately hook up while yer here..

Peace,
    HT
    How was he???

Damn $200 is a lot of money to have sex with an ape. Well at least it was Canadian dollars.

The last time I was in that club was several (10) years ago, and there was a featured dancer "Susie Boobies", who proceded to lash me with her massive chest and in turn cover me with the scent of her cheap drugstore purfume, which as a domino effect cost me my girlfriend at the time, who..and I quote, told me "Jesus Christ Nicolas if your gonna cheat on me, at least cheat on me with someone who has a little class". hahahah

Guess the thread should be destroyed now.....................................Whats left of it.