Originally posted here by HTRegz
Hey Hey,

So recently on these forums we've seen people attack Microsoft for "phoning home" and relaying personal info... Then we saw the same thing for Apple... even though all apple did was download the latest list of "Approved" widgets (similar to your AV might do, or a PC on automatic update)...

So I just finished instally SuSE 10.1 on my primary desktop (Decided it was time for a change.... I've got an XP VM for all my Windows world things still) and while the install took waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to long I was impressed with the software list (although for 6 CDs / 1 DVD I should be) and the hardware support... Let's give a quick rundown on that before I mention this article...

Server 2003 Native Support: 1 NIC, CD-RW/DVD Rom, ZIP Disk, Keyboard and Mouse
SuSE 10.1 Native Support: 2 NICs, CD-RW/DVD Rom, Zip Disk, Keyboard and Mouse.... oh yeah and Sound Card, Video Card, TV Tuner and Recognized my Monitor....

btw nothing on my computer is "new": GeForce FX 5200 (128 MB), SB Live 5.1, Generic NICs, ATI TV Wonder...

Anyways... the reason for this thread...

The opening line of the SuSE release notes "Personal information will be relayed back to Novel for the most user-friendly experience possible" "This information includes data returned from the commands: hwinfo and uname".... So for all you linux zealots that were attacking Apple and MS... SuSE is returning my personal information as well... and if I disable that it will provide me with a less than desired user experience..

I just found this rather interesting.

Peace,
HT
RPM-based distros are trash. Slackware baby

Let the distro wars begin!