Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Graphics Card

OK!

As you have the AGP card slot, that is what you want. It connects at about twice the speed of PCI and five times the speed of ISA (don't ask............I will tell you tales of dinosaurs and dragons)

ISA slots lay eggs!.......................true!.........................

I do not know your pricing structure, other than that it is quite different in India from here; neither do I know the games you like to play.

However, as a gross generalisation games fall into two sorts:

1. Memory intensive
    2. Graphics intensive

I will make a guess that your games are graphics intensive, and that framerate is important?

So, you need to look at the video card in two ways:

1. Total memory (RAM) on the card..........64/128/256
    2. Processing speed.........the card has its own processor, which has a speed.

It is thus possible that a 128 is better than a 256 for what you want to play.

From the rest of your specifications it is not worth getting anything better than a 256, and I would suggest a 128 (if there is a significant price difference) and putting the money saved towards a new machine with faster BUSes, memory, and a better video card.

It is all a matter of balancing your kit

Nihil, there is very little price difference between a 128 and 512 now for medium end cards like this. There is also very little price difference between medium end cards in general. Most in the 100-200 range aren't too different quality wise.

What will make your games run slower is the CPU and amount of RAM you have. With this video card and a good rest of the setup, you will be able to run most games on a high (not maximum) setting. Without a really good CPU and RAM setup, you'll be able to get almost any game at medium and most games at high with this card. If you want the perfect gaming experience, you're going to need a whole new box, but I'm assuming you don't have that kind of money. This card will definitely get you through to that time.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Re: Graphics Card

Originally posted here by codenamevirus
    hi people

I live in India, have budget of around Rs. 10000($222).

Hi,

Since we do happen to live in the same country, I would suggest you to buy a mid-range PCI-E card after you upgrade/have compatible motherboard, CPU etc..since you wish for a good gaming experience.

I would be telling you about the card and you may develop a system around it.

The card i bought and do vouch for happens to be the Leadtek WInfast PX GT 6600 TDH

You may visit the manufacturer site here
    http://www.leadtek.com/3d_graphic/wi...0_gttdh_1.html

Here would find pictures of two version, i am talking about the 128 mb version.

Be advised that this is a company overclocked model and you would require a good, airy cabinet and also some external cooler or else you might end frying the hell out of it (it happened with my card..now i am wiser)

I bought it at around Rs. 11000 and bundles 2 full games with it in DVD format.

Considering our sub-continent's extreme heat conditions, would advise that you get a good cabinet/computer case. I purchased mine from www.theitdepot.com

These guys operate out of chennai and have a decent service, I got the box delivered in two days! (thanks to TNT)

I propose a work station/server type box like the Antec Performance TX 1050B (i own it!)

you may find more about it here Antec Performance TX 1050B

Antec makes good, not so flashy cases. There are good cases available abroad, but they would cost a bomb.

This particular supports two front fans so i bought two 80 mm fans seperately

I'd chosen Antec 80mm SmartCool Fan you can see details here http://theitdepot.com/products.asp?prod=10587

they are quiter, thermally controlled (lower fan speed when low activity=saving of much valuable electricity) but a bit higher priced.

Last but not the least i bought a seperate fan cooler for the Card to be sure i didnt overheat and destroy it again you can find it here http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=75060

I didnt find it on the ITdepot website, but you may check with them on phone.

One more good point about this particular cabinet is that it comes pre-loaded with a dual thermally controlled fans antec power supplu unit (550 watts) (it otherwise, seperately costs Rs. 6929), combine it with the cabinet and the whole bundle costs you Rs. 8686 only...thats a good bargain..

Trust me, your 220 volt/watt (whatever) archaic power supply on those teeny weeny cabinets
    that assemblers would try to sell you may actually harm the card with the not so efficient and sometimes very volatile power supplies here.

The whole exercise may set you back by Almost Rs. 30K, but it every bit money well spend.

Thats almost tripling your mentioned budget but this is the minimum you need to spend for an average gaming experience (considering today's game requirments of games like FEAR, HL2, Doom 3 & FarCry.

you may find the card review here www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=3&id=1658

and here http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...600gt-pcx.html

Buy the from a very reputed and a known reseller, since incase there is any problem with the card, he would help you have it quickly replaced (in my case it took 15 days) under warranty

One last piece pf advise, Leadtek is lazy when it comes to updating drivers, so i do the updates using nvidia foreware drivers and they work fine!

Guys from other countries, please note that we may not have too many bigger and better
    brands available and the specifications and models mentioned may be outdated by your standards. However these are the products available here.The resellers may or may be too keen on serving the warranty hence the advise.

I did a lot of reading, r&d and lots of tele-calling before i finally ended up with this rig and i hope my man hours spend just mining info and gathering reseller info would help you.

Also, invite your opinion on the rig.

Codenamevirus, i am assuming you have either have a well paying job or a generous father for these ventures...

Cheers and Happy Gaming.

Do keep me posted what did you finally got!

1 USD=Rs. 46.90 approx.

T3h Ch3F

Re: Re: Graphics Card

Originally posted here by chizra
    Hi,

Since we do happen to live in the same country, I would suggest you to buy a mid-range PCI-E card after you upgrade/have compatible motherboard, CPU etc..since you wish for a good gaming experience.

I would be telling you about the card and you may develop a system around it.

The card i bought and do vouch for happens to be the Leadtek WInfast PX GT 6600 TDH

You may visit the manufacturer site here
    http://www.leadtek.com/3d_graphic/wi...0_gttdh_1.html

Here would find pictures of two version, i am talking about the 128 mb version.

Be advised that this is a company overclocked model and you would require a good, airy cabinet and also some external cooler or else you might end frying the hell out of it (it happened with my card..now i am wiser)

I bought it at around Rs. 11000 and bundles 2 full games with it in DVD format.

Considering our sub-continent's extreme heat conditions, would advise that you get a good cabinet/computer case. I purchased mine from www.theitdepot.com

These guys operate out of chennai and have a decent service, I got the box delivered in two days! (thanks to TNT)

I propose a work station/server type box like the Antec Performance TX 1050B (i own it!)

you may find more about it here Antec Performance TX 1050B

Antec makes good, not so flashy cases. There are good cases available abroad, but they would cost a bomb.

This particular supports two front fans so i bought two 80 mm fans seperately

I'd chosen Antec 80mm SmartCool Fan you can see details here http://theitdepot.com/products.asp?prod=10587

they are quiter, thermally controlled (lower fan speed when low activity=saving of much valuable electricity) but a bit higher priced.

Last but not the least i bought a seperate fan cooler for the Card to be sure i didnt overheat and destroy it again you can find it here http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=75060

I didnt find it on the ITdepot website, but you may check with them on phone.

One more good point about this particular cabinet is that it comes pre-loaded with a dual thermally controlled fans antec power supplu unit (550 watts) (it otherwise, seperately costs Rs. 6929), combine it with the cabinet and the whole bundle costs you Rs. 8686 only...thats a good bargain..

Trust me, your 220 volt/watt (whatever) archaic power supply on those teeny weeny cabinets
    that assemblers would try to sell you may actually harm the card with the not so efficient and sometimes very volatile power supplies here.

The whole exercise may set you back by Almost Rs. 30K, but it every bit money well spend.

Thats almost tripling your mentioned budget but this is the minimum you need to spend for an average gaming experience (considering today's game requirments of games like FEAR, HL2, Doom 3 & FarCry.

you may find the card review here www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=3&id=1658

and here http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...600gt-pcx.html

Buy the from a very reputed and a known reseller, since incase there is any problem with the card, he would help you have it quickly replaced (in my case it took 15 days) under warranty

One last piece pf advise, Leadtek is lazy when it comes to updating drivers, so i do the updates using nvidia foreware drivers and they work fine!

Guys from other countries, please note that we may not have too many bigger and better
    brands available and the specifications and models mentioned may be outdated by your standards. However these are the products available here.The resellers may or may be too keen on serving the warranty hence the advise.

I did a lot of reading, r&d and lots of tele-calling before i finally ended up with this rig and i hope my man hours spend just mining info and gathering reseller info would help you.

Also, invite your opinion on the rig.

Codenamevirus, i am assuming you have either have a well paying job or a generous father for these ventures...

Cheers and Happy Gaming.

Do keep me posted what did you finally got!

1 USD=Rs. 46.90 approx.
    Damn there is hope for new membership afterall!

Good post, good advice, good for you chizra!!!!

Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

now that post...is something which got me into serious thinking for an avg gaming experience.
    For a moment....I thought of going for a XBOX, instead!

But, due to the financial constraints, thw above thing....will have to wait for some time. Instead, I was thinking of upgrading my processor.....from AMD 32 bit to AMD 64 bit(I have integrated motherboard, so the whole motherboard changes!). In the new one, I'll be looking for a good processor and all kind of slots(AGP, PCI and PCI-E).

I already have 1 GB of RAM.....so that wont be required at the moment.

Have a look at the motherboard here:

http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp...114&cat_id=556

and tell me, will that be a good one?

As for the graphics card, u can see it at the page 2 of the same link. Also, I have heard that there are more better graphic cards other than nVidia. And, considering nihil's post, I can go for a 128MB graphic card with better performance than the 256 MB one(but price does matter)

One more thing, are PCI-E cards better than AGP/PCI cards?

I now think, that I'll be able to afford a price upto Rs. 15000($333).
    CodeNameVirus

corollary

Geee! On an otherwise dreary and bluesy day my first anti points and Galdron’s approval lifted my spirits.

codenamevirus,

coming back to the rig featured on techtree, here are my comments.

The Motherboard:

A decent performer. Please check out it's latest specs here:

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l...27&modelmenu=1

A good buy!

The Card:

Techtree claims this particular Forsa card ruled the mid-range segment for almost a year. I do not agree with it. I've never heard of this company! If you are thinking of a card from this company please do your warranty, aftersales support (online/offline) homework well and more importantly find out how your candidate fares in the comparative tests across its category.

Quick Primer:

A card cannot be judged by its solely on the basis of its Video Ram. That means we cannot assume that a 256mb card would perform better that a 128 mb card!

The card performance must also be measured on the basis of its pixel pipelines, vertex shaders(and how well the manufacturer has integrated them) and ofcourse the quality of chips used. Choose a reputed manufacturer to eliminate the quality question.

Murphy's Law of Graphic Card Performance:

No two cards featuring exactly the same specifications, tested on the same bed by two different manufacturers would give the same test results the same in synthetic and real world tests!

In any card you buy do look for these specs as minimum (indicative midrange specs):

PCI-E, Direct X 9.0c, Shader Model 3.0, Ultra Shadow II, M64-Bit Texture Filtering and Blending, DDR3, Pixel Pipelines-16, Vertex Shaders 6, Open GL 2.0 Enhancements and CineFX Engine 3.0

DVD Drive-Sony DRU 700A.

Speakers:

Ah...one of favourite topics.

Minimum benchmark is a 5.1 setup. Try playing Call of Duty or Call of Duty 2 on a 2.1 system. Then replay it with a 5.1 system. You'll never touch a 2.1 speaker again.

Philips makes very affordable high quality 5.1 systems. The one i own and would love to recemmend is the Philips MMS 5.500i. You can check it out here:

http://shopping.indiatimes.com/ism/f...entCategoryID=

Philips has a good no. of service centres in our country and the set would cost you around 4750-4999. Buy it for its overall good performance and a very tight and powerful bass subsystem.

Alternately, you may also look at the other 2.1 offerings from philips.

Case:

I am a strong believer in the lowspeed 120mm fan and a more stronger believer in two 120mm fans, one in front and the other in back. they cool well and are less noisy. Or atleast get a case with one 120mm fan at the back and one 80 mm fan on the front. The case featured at techtree is meant for office use.

Check out this case:

http://theitdepot.com/products.asp?prod=10564

Last Word: Do not go and buy the important components yourself. Give the list to your vendor, he knows the markets and the reputed stockists.

Happy Constructing!

hi chizra

thnx for your info....it helped a lot.

PCI-E, Direct X 9.0c, Shader Model 3.0, Ultra Shadow II, M64-Bit Texture Filtering and Blending, DDR3, Pixel Pipelines-16, Vertex Shaders 6, Open GL 2.0 Enhancements and CineFX Engine 3.0
    Can u refer some of this kind..which are not too expensive(considering my budget)

thnx
    CodeNameVirus

The same card mentioned in my first post!

Leadtek WInfast PX GT 6600 TDH

http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/3d_gra...&pronameid=147

Abhi jyada nahin sochne ka!

hey chizra

checked the link!
    are tell me the prices too......both 128mb and 256mb.
    CodeNameVirus

hi

I just had a chat with my technician, he said to postpone this upgrade for 3-4 months. He says the AMD Dual Core(currently at Rs. 35-40k) will go down to compete with the Intel Duos(around Rs. 13-15k), when Windows Vista launches. So, will go down the prices of Graphics cards!!

How do all of u mark that?

Also by that time, I'll have deeper pockets to make an investment!
    CodeNameVirus