perfnet error?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: perfnet error?

perfnet error?

hi all,

people here must be feeling that i keep running into problems

anyway, this comp of mine (laptop gateway) is doing the automatic shutdown all by itself. i mean one moment everything is fine, next the fan goes full rpm and within a second or so shutsdown. i have been have been facing this since i upgraded from xp home to xp pro.
    at first i thought that its some software problem. maybe some software i have loaded. but i have been having them for over a year now. no problems before.
    a friend having same kind of problem (laptop dell) contacted the company, was told that its a inherent problem and its to do with heat and once the lapot gets a little old it starts to do that more.

i refuse to believe that.

secondly another computer(laptop compaq) does this exact same thing as one mentioned above.
    i went into event log and saw against the times it shut down that there is a preculier error saying "perfnet"
    now the compaq is beyond my reach so cant check that, dell i will check in the morning. this one i am posting a snapshot below.

googled it.. seems there are a lot of shutdowns happenings because of this file/dll.
    and there is no cure.

how come it didnt happen with xp home installed

anybody have any info on it? there has to be a way around.

thanx for any suggestions
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

This may help:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window...23ca91033.mspx

I think it is a network monitoring/performance measurement tool. You wouldn't have a problem with XP Home? See if you can turn it off? otherwise you might try starting the networking service to fool it into keeping quiet

Yes, I have heard that about Dell laptops as well, AFAIK it is true

cant seem to start it.

went to start>run>exctrlst-----says cant find it.

and yeah, i found this this morning.

it says "disable net and printers" but i use net and printers

and more i went through dr watson and it spitted out following through help and support

Product: Windows Operating System
    Event ID: 2004
    Source: PerfNet
    Version: 5.2
    Symbolic Name: PERFNET_UNABLE_OPEN_SERVER
    Message: Unable to open the Server service. Server performance data will not be returned. The error code returned is in the first DWORD in the Data section.

Explanation
    A performance monitoring program tried to open the performance counters for the Server service. The Server service could not respond to the request. The Server service is not running or is transitioning between starting and stopping or vice versa.

User Action
    To determine whether the Server service is running, at the command prompt, type Net Statistics
    A list of running services is displayed. If the Server service is not listed, at the command prompt, type Net Start Server
    my server service is already started

BANNED
    You need to download it from here:
    ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/reskit/win2000/exctrlst.zip

Performance Counter Errors: You may find that the default performance monitors that Windows 2000 runs give error messages in Event Viewer. By default Windows 2000 runs many performance monitors in the background, including disk, system and network performance. If you get any error messages relating to any of the performance counters such as perfmon, perfnet, perfdisk, perfctrs (including the common error: Unable to read IO control information from NBT device) you can manually disable the individual monitors using the programme exctrlst.exe, in the Windows 2000 Resource Kit. The file can be downloaded here. Simply run the programme, and uncheck the Performance Counters Enabled box against any counters you wish to disable.
    http://web.ukonline.co.uk/cook/problems.htm
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

i have got the blue screen of "death"

here's what i did, downloaded the patch. the patch is ok, there is nothing wrong with the patch. havnt had the chance to install or run it. by that time it shut down twice.

by this time i was getting the sledge hammer ready.

then it shut down again. i restarted it and it went into this blue screen.

i tried the setup cd

loaded everything,
    went into recovery option, didnt see the "c" drive, only "d" drive (its a laptop, only one hhd)
    went into fresh installation, copies everything then formats than restarts and goes into same screen mentioned above.
    tried the slow format. goes all the way till 38% then stops. i let it try for half an hour before i forced shtdown and restarted, goes into the same blue screen.

doesnt start in safe mode
    doesnt start in command promt
    doesnt start in last known good configuration

once i got this message saying hardware profile has changed and press "L" to load, then press "D" to load the last good profile. and does nothing more

BANNED
    Try scanning the disk with the recovery cd.

i bought me one of those hhd adapters.

tonight's project-
    hook up hhd with the adapter and format into ntfs then chkdsk. then try and load windows, hoping it works
    pcworld people said the hhd has gone kaput and wanted me to buy 90 pounds new one.

i want to experiment on this before to see if i can save it.

somebody told me that if i am able to find some bad sectors, i can isolate them using linux, then switch back to windows. i dont know if thats possible.

the recovery disk is in america, getting posted this very minute. till then dont have the option to use it

If you get the diagnostics tool from the HDD manufacturer, this should check the drive and isolate any bad sectors. There is no need to use Linux.

pcworld people said the hhd has gone kaput and wanted me to buy 90 pounds new one.
    PC World? since when have they ever employed anyone who knew Jack Schitt about computers? Spotty face and an ill fitting Burtons' suit seems to be the qualification requirement

BANNED
    You could try slaving the drive on another computer and then run disk check on it.

muert0 am trying to slave it. will post here to let you know what happened

nihil got the tool from gateway. will run it tonight. they said that it writes zeros on the hhd. if there is any error then the hhd is knackered