Thread: NIC's

NIC's

Soi bought a new computer today and did the same thing as my last two computers and network them thought ethernet cards...but this time it only said cable unplugged, i know they work cause when i plug my dsl modem cable in them they light up but with each other they dont...what could the problem be ?
    O.G at A.O

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    ok im just thinking off the top of my head here... its late. Do you have ICS turned on?
    Are you sure the ethernet cable(s) arent bad? they may be a setting inside ur modem you have to check. 192.168.1.1 but you knew that

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234815/
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

i dont really want ICS in this scenarion, i just want file sharing....cables are good, tried the on the modem and they work...and since not ICS i can let it automaticly assign an IP right?
    O.G at A.O

well weir weird, the cable apparently works when i use it from the modem to the PC but not from PC to PC. anyways, cable issue, problem fixed, thanks =)
    O.G at A.O

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    go on
    don't be shy

tell us what you fecked up

It HAS to be that
    cos you would still be posting otherwise
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

PC to PC ethernet requires a crossover cable.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

rcgreen...only when sharin ICS, i used a cat5e patch cable a month ago with my other 2 PC's and it worked fine...
    O.G at A.O

Most newer NICs are auto-sensing and can handle a normal patch lead or a cross-over cable, older NICs need a cross-over cable though.

If you try to use a patch lead in an older NIC for PC --> PC comm's you may get a 'cable is unplugged' error as the pin-out is incorrect!

YEh.. but what if the NIC is disabled in the hardware profile?

Ive had some PC's from new.. where the Nic is disabled.. default install... normally the user has a Dialup modem in the machine.. ..

So have you checked in this area?.. strange.. but could be your problem..

i know they work cause when i plug my dsl modem cable
    is this saying the PC connects to the DSL Modem with out a hitch?
    so is it just when connecting PC to PC for file TXfer?

So from your old setup the difference is only the new PC?
    Go with the other idaes of the X-over cable.. just because it worked before dosent mean that the new nic is happy with the setup..or the older nic may not be happy with the setup..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

well i used a crossover cable and works fine....yeah the PC-DSL setup works fine with all NICs....and all hardware is updated and installed, thats what i thought first too when i got the error....
    O.G at A.O