Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Raid Recovery...when Raid 0 fails

/off topic slightly:

and after talking to those oh so smart people at Dell they want me to wipe it all and start over again to fix this issue and recreate the array
    Funny you should mention that - one of my users phoned me the other dy to say his PC wont boot, I tried all the usual stuff but to no effect......found out I had a next business day support contract with Dell for that machine so phoned them up and palmed it off on to them.

The machine is 200 miles away from where I work from so I gave Dell the users phone number to contact as they always like to run through their own diagnosticts before sending an engineer out..............................long story short - I get an MSN message from the user "I'm on the phone to Dell and he has told me to format the hard drive and is going to talk me through it, is there a Windows XP CD handy anywhere?"

I sat there gob-smacked for a few minutes before telling him to hang up on the so called Dell tech support! I couldnt believe that a Dell engineer would format the hard drive of a commercial work station just like that - without asking anyone what data was on it etc etc!!

I took some perverse pleasure logging a complaint with em!

/sorry, back on topic

About the dead array is the hard drive dead? Ether way you need to do data recovery on each disk on a second computer. Their several programs for this one I have used is File Scavenger 3 it will do raids not all programs will. Hope this helps, also for the couple hundred gigs of data try http://www.streamload.com they have unlimited data storage and you pay for monthly download banwith like 25 Gb per month for $10.

Antionline Herpetologist
    Heh,
    An old lady (a school principal) who I know called Dell for support because she couldn't install Office. The install failed with some wierd error. The Dell guy took her through formatting the computer, only to eventually find out that the Office media was bad .

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Of course buying another drive and going to raid 5 would have prevented this.

even better going to scsi would be a better choice for a raid setup, ide/sata just don't cut it

Charlie~

You are talking total crap....... SCSI/SATA/IDE............. I can say with absolute certainty that I have forgotten more about them than you will ever know

We are talking RAID ARRAYS here?

There is a slight difference IMHO?