Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Raid Recovery...when Raid 0 fails

As Nihil said you should take an image of th disk/clone and then try on the clone, all the tools suggested.

All said and done it depends on the criticality of the data you have on the disk.

So would I be right in assuming that resetting the raid disk to non-raid will not erase the data on it? (when going through the reset option it warns me that all data will be lost. Not a very encouraging warning.

I have talked to the people at runtime and they said that their program will move all the data from the two drives to a single drive. If none of the files on either hard drive are damaged they believe it will work and boot up fine and I will have all the data on a single drive. Is this plausible or are the properties of raid 0 too hard to predict and therefore I may loose chunks of data? Anyone every had any experiance in this area and had good results?
    It's not a war on drugs it's a war against personal freedoms!

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by nihil
    Hmmm,

I agree that these things do "happen" from time to time, and normally I would do exactly what SirDice suggests. However we would both have full backups to rely upon?
    I hate to admit it but I don't really have any backups at home. I'm still looking for a cheap solution for backing up a couple of hundred gigs

The "backup" solution I currently use is to scatter my files over different harddisks on different machines. The odd chance 2 drives burning out at the same time with the exact same files on them are astronomical (but not impossible)
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I have reset and recreated the raid drives and I get a new status message that everything is normal and that it is bootable. However it tells me after that there is no boot device availible. Does anyone know what might have happened? Is all my data basically gone or is there something I forgot to do or a way to extract the data?

Yes, SirDice , I too tend to "take the moral high ground" insofar as there are a lot of machines I do no more than save files to a rewritable CD or DVD, and move stuff to other machines.

I guess it is a case of "do what I say, not what I do"

Mind you, to have 20 Gig would be the maximum for me

So I have continued to try and resolve this issue and ran into another issue. When trying to run the windows XP cd to repair/reinstall windows on the hard drives I got the following message after the initial blue screen where it loads up the windows component for install....

Stop: C0000221 unknown hard error
    \systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll

anyone have any idea what this means? I am gonna do some research on it, but thought I would post and update to this thread just to see if anything knows what this error is.

Antionline Herpetologist
    Hmmm, you'd probably need a floppy or something with the RAID drivers when installing XP?

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

AFLAAACKKK!!
    support.microsoft.com my friends...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/101096/en-us
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Just curious.. but I am wondering if you took the harddrive that isn't listed on the RAID, and set it as a SLAVE drive using the cable & jumper, if you wouldn't be able to mount it, back up the information, then format & do another RAID config? I'm not entirely sure if this is possible or not.. but it was just an idea. Worth giving it a shot. If it does work, you won't lose your data. If not, you've wasted 15mins. =/ lol.

Maybe as a backup solution, you can do a Raid 01. Disks these days are getting cheaper and cheaper. If you don't want to dish out several hundred dollars for a tape drive that would accomidate the data, then buying 2 more drives should be too bad. That way, if your array fails, it can fail over to the good array. During that time, you can just replace the bad disks, initialize, repair, and back to normal.

That is if you want to go that route. I have a Adaptec 2810sa controller and have my system partition raid 1 and my data partition on a raid 5.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Enforcer