Thread: Raid Recovery...when Raid 0 fails

Hybrid View

Angry Raid Recovery...when Raid 0 fails

Good day to the ladies and gents of Anti-Online.

I have had to learn the hard way about the drawbacks of raid 0. Today I come into work and see a blue screen on my monitor. I shut off my computer and turn it back on after letting it sit for a minute. As it starts up I notice a message that the second hard drive in this array now lists itself as a non-raid disk. The status of the raid array is 'failed' and it says it is not bootable, because only one harddrive lists itself as a member disk of the array and raid 0 cannot function without both the drives.

This has got me pretty angry at myself since I never did a full back-up and after talking to those oh so smart people at Dell they want me to wipe it all and start over again to fix this issue and recreate the array. Apparently they don't seem to understand that I have important info on their I would rather not loose. I have been searching all over to find a solution that won't cost me an arm and a leg. When running diagnostics on the hard drives I got one bit of good news. The drives both pass the diagnostic tests, niether one is broken and the real problem seems that the array has become disjoined.

My question to you is how can I fix this? Is it possible to get the two hard drives back together again? Is all lost and my only solution to go to the nearest data recovery store and shell out thousands of bucks to get back my hard drive content? Does anyone have a good solution or at least some things I can attempt to do before I kick the proverbial bucket on this hard drive thing? As always your help is greatly appreciated.
    It's not a war on drugs it's a war against personal freedoms!

Of course buying another drive and going to raid 5 would have prevented this.

even better going to scsi would be a better choice for a raid setup, ide/sata just don't cut it

Charlie~

You are talking total crap....... SCSI/SATA/IDE............. I can say with absolute certainty that I have forgotten more about them than you will ever know

We are talking RAID ARRAYS here?

There is a slight difference IMHO?