Thread: A-SQUARED New Release

A-SQUARED New Release

Hi Folks,

A-Squared are now at release 2.0 (as of 31st July).

If you go to update, it will try to do it interactively. Mine got to the reboot stage then my system hung and it did not complete.

No big problem, I just downloaded the new version and installed. There are some additional update signatures for today, so do an update after it has installed.

It is now called A-Squared FREE. There is a more fully featured version with interactive scanning, auto-updating, scheduling and so on, but as I run quite a few of these things I don't really want that.

The new GUI seems more functional (I won't discuss the colour scheme ) and there is a clear link for submitting suspect files.

The signatures are now well over 400,000 so it might be expected to find some that other stuff does not. It is pretty good with keyloggers as it happens.

Incidentally, it used to require you to register it first, they seem to have done away with that for the free version now.

EDIT: here is the link:

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

As I mentioned in another thread, this is a thorough program - you have to give it that, and I have every confidence in it finding any keyloggers etc. However, it did my head in when I allowed it to function in the background and schedule scans. It seemed to be scanning and finding stuff I was actually happy to keep, *all* the time.

Now I've turned off the option to enable at startup and I just use it when I want to do a scan, but don't have it running in the background.

Yes, I am not a great fan of background scanning. Worst example I had of that recently was AVG..............it was running a scheduled scan and trying to do an update in the middle of it

Anyway, where possible I like to do my scanning in safe mode, so the scheduling isn't much use