Thread: Total Drive Encryption

Total Drive Encryption

Anybody have any experience with total drive encryption? I am currently using Truecrypt to encrypt one partition on my laptop, but am looking to migrate to a total disk encryption solution. As a network engineer I have copies of router configs and network diagrams and such. I am serious considering forking over the 200 dollars for PGP's offering, but I figured I would ask for opinions first.

Just Another Geek
    Have a look at SafeBoot..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Is this going to be just for you or are you looking for an enterprise solution? If enterprise is on the horizon look into entrust..

http://www.entrust.com/data-protection/index.htm

You can also get the single suite protection from them as well.

I use DriveCrypt PlusPack from SecurStar

http://www.securstar.com/products_drivecryptpp.php
    \"I\'m gonna buy a gun and start a war
    If you can tell me something worth fighting for\" - Rush of Blood To the Head

http://www.truecrypt.org/ .... is great ....
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

I have significant first hand experience with "PGP Desktop Professional 9.0 with Whole Disk Encryption" and can recommend it if WDE is necessary. The driver it uses for hdd access with WDE works well enough to be acceptible in a workstaiton environment. If being used on a laptop, I would recommend at least a 2Ghz dothan or 1.6Ghz yonah core for transparent access; if you have less, you may notice a slight performance hit with disk access intensive applications and slightly longer boot up times.

However, overall, PGP WDE has worked very well in all of my experiences with it, and I do recommend it for you based upon the information you have provided.

Thank you for the valuable input. After considering Safeboot and the PGP solutions, I elected to go with the PGP solution and bought the eToken to go along with it. Thanks for the suggestions and I will let you know how it works out.

I've always been a fan of PGP, I find it does an excellent job without causing any problems. If I needed total encryption I'd be more than happy to pay for PGP. At the moment I use PGP Desktop version 9 with the free options which are more than adequate for my needs.

Version 8 had an vulnerability with insecure padding (in the free program anyway) but I think most people would be using a later version now.