Thread: D-link Dwl-g120 Leaking Assloads Of Memory

D-link Dwl-g120 Leaking Assloads Of Memory

I have a D-Link wireless USB adaptor, high speed 802.11g DWL-G120. A thing it uses, called 120UTIL.EXE consumes so much memory. Every second, it eats up about 2-3 handles, which I do not know where they're going. For example, right now, my computer has been on since this morning, and it has about 18,200 unclosed handles it has opened. Is there anywhere I can upgrade this software? I can not find any information about this issue.

Have you called their support? (I know... their support is about worthless.)

What driver version are you using? The latest for that is 1.12 but that is a bit old.
    ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dwlg120...driver_112.zip

I make it a point to stay away from D-Link products. I've never had a good experience with ANY of their products. But, that is just me. A lot of people really like them for some reason. (Can't figure out why.)

If it were me... I'd pick up a new card. They're practically free if you know where to look.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Does this happen when the wifi card is plugged in?

A post @ http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...ilite=dwl-g120 says that it doesn't happen when the card is connected but happens when the card is not connected.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I definitely clicked that link, uninstalled my current driver with the 1.12 uninstaller, and installed 1.12, but I'm checking the properties of it and it still says that:

Driver Provider: GlobespanVirata
    Driver Data: 11/11/1003
    Driver Version: 1.0.5.0

And it still leaks handles. I'm going to try again later, I may have done this improperly.

I think I installed it correctly. I used the 1.12 Setup.exe from the zip which removed the current version, restarted, and then ran it again, it should have installed 1.12, and then I restarted, and found myself still with 1.0.5. I do not know if this is right or not, and it also still leaks. Is there anywhere else I can post about this? It happens all the time and really sucks.

Hmmm,

You could try uninstall and reinstall and make sure that you manually point it to the 1.12 drivers?

It might be worth a try?

Well, I don't know which ones those would be. In the zip I found, there's

data1.cab
    data1.hdr
    data2.cab
    Setup.exe
    Setup.ini
    Setup.inx
    layout.bin
    ikernel.ex_

I'm sure none of those are drivers, but where would Setup.exe put them, how should I do this?

OK,

I am afraid that this is a bit of a guess. I see that you have two .cab (cabinet files) and a .ex_

The cabinet files are compressed files in their own right and the other one looks like a compressed executable.

Create a folder, unzip all the files into it. When Windows rediscovers your device, don't let it search for a driver, but select "have disk" and point it to the folder you have created. It should see the installation program and take it from there?

I would expect to find a *****.sys and one or more *****.dll files. They will be in C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\Drivers\ and or C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\

If the first method doesn't work, try pointing at those two locations. Yeah, tell me about it.........a PITA