Thread: Problems BFG 7900GTX

Problems BFG 7900GTX

Current video issues

My current setup:

Enermax 535W PSU (separate 12V rails)
    Asus A8N-SLI Premium (BIOS version 1009, latest before Beta)
    AMD64 X2 4800+ (2x1MB cache) Socket 939
    -> XP-90C heatsink with 92mm high flow fan blowing into the heatsink.
    2 x 1GB Dual Channel (512 pairs) OZC PC3200 (gold plated 2-2-2-5)
    Audigy X-Fi FPS Edition
    BFG GeForce 7900GTX (factory overclock, reg 650MHz, sold at 670MHz)
    -> (planning to purchase a second card for SLI soon)
    200GB SATAII Seagate HDD 7200RPM (windows installed)
    300GB SATAII Seagate HDD 7200RPM (linux and extra storage)

1 x ViewSonic VX924 19" LCD
    1 x ViewSonic VX922 19" LCD

Windows XP SP2 w/ latest updates

Here are my problems. (Note, I had an AMD 4000+ on here a couple weeks ago and had the same issues)

Very often I get the dreaded BSOD, something to do with nv4_disp.dll. From what I've read on google, this is a very common issue relating usually to drivers. I have used the drivers right off the CD, the fully updated drivers from nVidia's site, and the XG drivers. I have reformatted windows just to see if that helps. When changing drivers, I uninstall, boot to safe mode, use driver cleaner to remove, reboot, and cancel auto install, then install driver with install program.

My other issues are, when running DualView mode and playing a game like FEAR on the one monitor, it runs great. Then it suddenly locks up for a second, the other screen (just the desktop) goes black like it looses the signal for about a second, then comes back up and everything returns to normal. It is starting to do this much more often. Used to be every few minutes. Now it's every 15 seconds or so. Way too annoying.

Also, occasionally (especially if using spanning) on the one monitor, I get a little line that vibrates up and down. It isn't a visible line, but if there is something there like text or a picture, that little line jumps up and down a bit. It's on the lower left side of the monitor and goes horizontal for about 4-6 inches. If I change the view to say DualView and back to Spanning, it goes away.

I have tried installing the lastest chipset drivers for my motherboard, latest sound drivers, video drivers, windows updates, and have the latest BIOS that isn't beta. I don't understand why I'm having so many issues.

I also have a monster power bar which is supposed to filter line noise. I'm pretty sure there is enough power. As for temperatures, my GPU runs at 58 C under load. CPU runs at around 45 C under load. Nothing is overclocked (except the factory overclocked BFG card, which is only 20MHz extra.)

Any ideas on the problems going on here? I’m getting very annoyed after all the money I’ve dropped into this machine only to have it crashing a few times a night. Could the card be bad? I might try getting it replaced (got the extended over the counter warranty for 2 years, might as well use it I guess) but I don’t know. I got Linux to install last night, I have yet to play with the configuration or push the card to any limits yet. I’m just kind of lost. Maybe you people have any solutions to anything here? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

Do the textures in games like FEAR appear to have a green flicker? I usually starts with the guns and spreads. A more better test is the first desert level in Call of Duty 2

If that is the case, it may be archiving(or something like that), however this is a known problem connected with damaged core or overheating cores.

Were the settings for dual monitors enabled in the game as well as the settings of your graphic card?

I looks like difinitely a hardware problem.

Try running the system with another card.

Most definitly sounds like a hardware problem. Try a different card, and if your problem ends, use that amazing lifetime warranty BFG has.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

If you don't have access to another comparably featured card you could try the following:

1. Run it in single monitor mode.
    2. If you have the management software, underclock it to about 640.

If it works when it is underclocked, this would suggest that the card is substandard rather than "defective" which is a bit more difficult to detect.

Either way, let them know what you have tried when you send it back. Otherwise there is the risk that they will just run some simple diagnostics and say that there is nothing wrong with it.

Thanks for the replies, and sorry for the delay. I've been patiently waiting for the store here to get some more of these cards in stock. (I can get them elsewhere, but this one place in Calgary has them far less than anyone).

I ran the game in single monitor mode, and it also froze completely after running F.E.A.R. for about 5-10 minutes. I didn't see many flashes of green or anything, although I did notice that my card temps are actually hitting as high as 70 C, I don't know if thats a seriously high temperature.

Once the cards come back in stock, I'll replace this one, and buy a second for SLI. but I'm going to make sure I have a high flow 80mm fan right next to them to help keep things cool.
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

I also experience the same BSOD you get with my nvidia card. It just started happening one day. No new drivers or anything. I've taken the same steps you have (new drivers, original drivers, reinstall of OS, etc.)

I still can't figure out my issue. Mine happens at random times. Sometimes right when I start the game. Sometimes after 5 minutes. Sometimes after 30minutes.

Nvidia GeForce FX 5200. My card isn't as nice as yours... but this is only a work machine. Mine normally has the same issue when playing Wolf ET. (Thats the only game I'll play at work during lunch or something.)

I have never experienced the issue other than when playing this game.

I play FEAR at home on a different machine and I also get the freezeups. However, that is only right before an autosave or checkpoint. It normally clears itself up within 2-5 seconds. It's not during gameplay. I'm on a Pentium D (Dual Core) 3.2ghz with 4gigs of ram and the ATI X1900 Crossfire
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.