Thread: need a hand

need a hand

one of my pc's has two hard drives in it. i used a ghost image to install my build. it installed ok but i didnt realise that it would delete the other partition on the other hard drive. so the second hard drive now is asking me to format and i dont want to. i have bout 150 gb of data on it i dont want to lose...............

what do i do?

i was thinking do i need to do a quick format on it and then use some software to recover deleted files?

It's a gas!
    can u see the files on the drive from a repair console?
    you could copy of the files from one hdd to the other from the console.

feck i didnt think of that. should i be able to see them?

Run the map command in recovery console, if it has a drive letter try going to it and running a chkdsk /r then do a dir. if you can't see the partition there you might want to try other more advanced recovery methods

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

Re: need a hand

Originally posted here by Kongo
    one of my pc's has two hard drives in it. i used a ghost image to install my build. it installed ok but i didnt realise that it would delete the other partition on the other hard drive
    Maybe I have this wrong but you said you used Ghost to but an image from hard drive A over to hard drive B right? so if hard drive B is asking you to format you will lose the data on that one but hard drive A should stay intact. Honestly what I would do is go ahead and format hard drive B then install your OS on it. after the OS is installed ( just the basic operating files) I would re-ghost over the image you want. Again this is just all my opinion.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

OK I don't understand it.................except that the box now thinks that it has two C:\ drives?

Try removing the other (working) drive, and see what happens if you only have one bootable C:\

ok i have two harddrives in my box.

i used a ghost image from dvd to install my build on hard drive a.

becuase i used ghost it deleted the partion on hard drive b . i wasnt aware it was going to do that.

if i try to use the drive b it tells me that it is not formatted would you like to format.

obviously i dont. but im gona have to do something.

i wont be able to check recovery console till friday afternoon. to see if i can do that.

id appreciate any suggestions that you have.

AOs Resident Troll
    Well for mucked up partitions I have been using this...mostly because windows doesnt recognize the partition....hence cant see the data.

http://www.ontrack.com/software/

yes ..it costs money....guess it depends on how much your data is worth.

They have a trial software which will see if it can recover the files...then you have to pay to recover them.

Maybe worth a shot.

I use the standard.

Has come in VERY handy.

MHO as always

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Visit a torrent site and score yourself hiren's 8.2 or 8.3

Burn the iso to a blank cdr and boot to it.

There are several partition recovery tools on there.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hmmm,

becuase i used ghost it deleted the partion on hard drive b . i wasnt aware it was going to do that.
    It would not have done, had you done it properly.

Try setting drive "B" to be the master, and remove drive "A" (physically..........like unplug the cable)

I suspect that you added a drive that was set to "master", which gave you two of them?

OR set drive be to slave/CS and retrieve your data, then reformat.