Thread: SpamMailBag.com

SpamMailBag.com

Hey Hey,

I launched a new project last night... SpamMailBag.com.

Email aliases are setup based on the site I'm accessing... For example: antionline.com@spammailbag.com is in place for this site (I'll be appending it to random posts for the next couple weeks and also possibly using a more targetted per forum system... just waiting for objects to it in Addicts if their are any)... It will only ever be used on this site and I won't mention other addresses on this site.

All email that comes into the aliases is processed and auto-posted to the blog. This allows people a clean look at exactly what they are dealing with and who harvests from where, how "harvestable" a website is... etc.

I currently have addresses in place for Hi5.com (Social Site), ZDNet (News Site), Enterprise IT Planet (One of JupM's sites... This one will be interesting.. I "incorrectly" subscribed to the newsletter and instead of signing up again, just walked away. And of course my blog ComputerDefense.org... I've also added Taz Forums and I'm open to suggestions for the future.

I just ask that you don't post any actual addresses here as I don't want to skew the results.

I'm also looking to co-ordinate blog postings of this project with email addresses specific to each blog and to get it on digg and slashdot with specific addresses for each of them.. So if you're interested fire me an email or a PM.

Peace,
    HT

So what you're saying is any of us can post to your blog...

Originally posted here by Soda_Popinsky
    So what you're saying is any of us can post to your blog...
    If you really wanted to... then yes... If it becomes subject to constant "crude" postings, then I'll have to add myself as a moderator of posts and set all new email to "draft" but for now I'm testing the auto publishing to keep it more up-to-date.

You can try something a little more along the lines of:

http://www.projecthoneypot.org/

They embed transparent hyperlinks in their sites that eventually lead to email addresses... they get spidered and email is sent to them. However, that would be tough to do with just a signature, but it will help prevent previously mentioned false positives.

Originally posted here by Soda_Popinsky
    You can try something a little more along the lines of:

http://www.projecthoneypot.org/

They embed transparent hyperlinks in their sites that eventually lead to email addresses... they get spidered and email is sent to them. However, that would be tough to do with just a signature, but it will help prevent previously mentioned false positives.
    I may go with something like that... Thanks for the suggestion... For now I'm going to see how this goes... There seems to be some initial interest in it.. so for now I'm going to see how many problems I have with it open like this.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your project.

Originally posted here by spamdies
    I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your project.
    At least you do ... certain members (who has email addresses with thewhorehouse.com and thewhorehouse.net apparently)... doesn't get it had thinks it's crap.

exact quote as they left it on the blog

WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS CRAP????
    Peace,
    HT