Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modem

AOs Resident Troll

Modem

Ok...

Have a XP home machine .....uses dialup.

"All of a sudden it just stopped working" user says

apply updates, scan for malware....uninstall\reinstall modem.

Create new dial up connection..."633 error... device is in use."

No PDA devices, no fax programs....

I use the diagnostics to query modem....works great

I can use hyper terminal to initiate the modem.....no errors.

Try new modem...same thing.....633 device is in use

Have searched google....posted on other sites....the only "cure"

is a full reinstall...that is a format reinstall...

Anyone have any ideas???

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Im sure you have prolly already seen THIS but i wanted to try and be helpful lol
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

AOs Resident Troll
    Thanks Tex

Yep....seen it

I think I have read every goddam article\thread there is on modems and DUN

I figure its some kind of audio plugin...thinking the modem is a sound card (guy is an audiophile)

or some POS malware using windows DUN.....I cant see anything though...and there all this game\software stuff am not sure of....

Wow....I just ran a repair...and was reaaplying SP2 as I was replying....which did not finish..errored out....

Smells like malware.......

MLF

i just have to ask did you remove the device from the device manager reboot and reinstall the software for the hardware.

i know it seems dum but i have seen this work on issues such as this how about system restore. or maybe even clearning the startup in MSconfig.

AOs Resident Troll
    Yep ....uninstalled in control pnael,,,,removed physically...reboot....reboot added back in physically.and windows found it......

Have even tried a different modem.......same problem.

Thanks

MLF

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    ok at this point I have nothing constructive really to add so im just gonna ask why are still bothering to go thru all this trouble for a dial up modem? High Speed!
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Just curious..was any kind of Bluetooth device installed?Did you manage to get SP2 back on?Tried reverting to old restore points?Which modem does it say's being used in that particular DUN's properties?

Cheers

AOs Resident Troll
    Tex...its not my machine...the guy lives up in an area without access to cable or dsl.
    I am doing this for experience.....and of course wine...nice australian shiraz

therenegade

the machine is acting wierd....says it cant apply sp2...then says its installed when I try to reapply it....same with other updates

Guy says this has been happening for a while...updates fail....

Could be malware trying to use the DUN....I have it hooked up to a router (highspeed)

modem in the DUN is the USR I just put back in...

Tried a brand new hardware modem ...same symptoms.

Hyperterminal works...no errors in device manager....no hardware conflicts

dun thinks the device is in use

As for blue tooth..I cant see anything....lots of audio stuff that I am not familiar with.

Took every process from task manager and googled.......nothing.....

I already informed the guy that I am gonna backup and reinstall....

reinstall=single malt scotch

MLF

edit> wouldnt let me system restore....I had created a restore point a few months back....cant remember the exact error...the restore point is gone since I tried the repair...and install ontop.

Wink

hey buddy
    chek for this things....
    This could be the problem bcoz of some the services in ur os might be faulty. Follow this step very carefully.
    CP>ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS> SERVICES>
    DOUBLE CLICK ON THIS SERVICES
    > REMOTE ACCESS AUTO CONNECTION MANAGER
    > REMOTE ACCESS CONNECTION MANAGER
    > TELEPHONY
    Double click on this services if u find status of these services stop than click on start so that those services will get started. Now this is the main part of the job RESTART THE COMPUTER AND AGAIN CHEK FOR THIS SERVICES IF YOU FIND THESE SERVICES STOP THAN THESE FILE MIGHT HAVE GONE CORRUPTED .
    Also check for any conflict in any device manager in modem.

also pls tell me did u had any lightning or thunder storm in ur area??/
    thanx
    njoy the pain of hardwork

MLF

You have a choice with that box (I assume you have it on your desk now)
    Option 1: Remove the HDD, and place it in a clean pc, and use an AV in to scan the drive.. Set the AV to SCANN ONLY. take note of what is found.. Also do a search for items hidden in NTFS-ADS.. note these as well.. from this list we look at our next step.

Option 2: Create a BArt PE-Boot CD - Use IronGeeks Tutorial for this..Fix windows with Windows..The remote registry tools used there are GOLD
    First do a HJT scann, and analyse the Log.. GEt Adaware to do a scann - in the Scan Mode PAnel, select Scann for ADS lets see if we have other suprises.. we then follow the repair from this information

I have managed to break windows by allowing the AV's to Blindly remove infected files.. the removal of some of these bugs (plural is used here) is more like pealing an onion

There were a number of malware that prevent windows updats, as well stopped the install of SP2.. HAd one malware infestation that after a SP2 install, the PC's win install was R/S and it was a file recovery exercise.. Agobot, Rbot SDbot being the family of the main culprets... dont be suprised to find 2 or more versions of 3 or 4 trojan, plus 5 or 6 main families of other Virus, and hundreds of Adware files on the machine..

BTW.. My prefered is Option 2..

OOOPs.. missed your comment: OPTION 3: Recover user data.. partition, format, reinstall
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr