Cracking the password of an excel file. (I have the encrpytion key)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cracking the password of an excel file. (I have the encrpytion key)

Banned

Cracking the password of an excel file. (I have the encrpytion key)

Howdy

Firstly, please refrain from telling me this is a bad bad question and i'm a bad bad person for asking this type of question here and now i'm going to go to hell and die a slow and painful death...

Anyhow..
    I've got an excel document that has been password protected. My dad has obviously forgotten the password to this document, and due to the contents of this document he really needs to get the password cracked retrieved etc etc.

Anyhow I have a trial version of Advanced Office Password Breaker 1.40. After a couple of days it found me an encryption key, but wont open the file until I pay around $150 to buy the program.

I only want to use it for 1 file that my dad is asking me to help him with. He is getting, eerr, well, honestly. hes got to the nagging stage as he asked me about 5 days ago.

I tried a brute force attack using a similar program (advanced office password recovery) however that is limited to a max of 4 characters, and as such it couldn't find the password.

So my question is this.
    How can I open the excel file that is password protected..?

if you don't want to post and answer etc here then please PM me if you wish..

cheers
    acidtone..

Hi, what version of office/excel is it?

In the old days, all you had to do was create a new blank spreadsheet and import the data into it

With NT based OSes make sure that you take ownership of the file first....................

If you can't find "another way" to get some password cracker, the excel password retriever from passware is only 45$ instead of 150$ ...So atleast it's more affordable.

.C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Hey Hey,

While it is pay software, I throw this out there... The best software I've seen is http://www.lostpassword.com/kit.htm -- Password Kit. We used to use it at the College and I use it on occasion at home... it's quite convenient... It's costly but if you're interested I could run the xls through my copy (assuming there's no private data in it)... Let me know.

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

Banned
    <EDIT> Ht please check your PM Box, my father gave me permission to let you have an attempt at cracking the password.

more details are in the PM.

cheers
    acidtone..</edit>

Again, what version of Excel?

Banned
    Originally posted here by nihil
    Again, what version of Excel?

Nihil it's from the office 2000 version i'm pretty sure.

I don't have Office installed as i use the OpenOffice alternative, but on the computers at my dads work i'm pretty sure they have that office 2000 installed..?

cheers
    acidtone..

Hey Hey,

You may want to try http://www.decryptum.com/ it's fairly cheap (30ish bucks) compared to buying the software yourself.

Also the file is RC4 Encrypted (That's what Office 97 and up use) so basically you're going to have to brute force it or use a dictionary attack..

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

Banned
    Originally posted here by HTRegz
    Hey Hey,

You may want to try http://www.decryptum.com/ it's fairly cheap (30ish bucks) compared to buying the software yourself.

Also the file is RC4 Encrypted (That's what Office 97 and up use) so basically you're going to have to brute force it or use a dictionary attack..

Peace,
    HT
    Ht, i'll take a look into the software, but i would prefer to try all other options before laying down the cash.

Can you suggest any good software/program that i could use to perform the:
    brute force it or use a dictionary attack..
    either here or via Pm

cheers
    acidtone..