Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locked out of hard drive--but I know the password!? Please help!

Locked out of hard drive--but I know the password!? Please help!

Ok, so the situation is, my computer BSODs at the login screen so I'm trying desperately to recovery whatever data I can from my laptop hard drive. The problem is, when I took out the drive and connnected it to an external enclosure, I can't access my Profile because I put a password on it and set the privacy settings for that Profile! Ahhhh!

The Profile is under "My Documents and Settings" and gives me an "access denied" everytime I try and access it. It also appears "empty", like "0" bytes empty. I've tried creating an account identical to the Profile I'm trying to access with the same Username and Password thinking I'll take those credentials but that didn't work. Please help me!!!!

Greeting's

if your hard-disk has developed physical bad sectors (it must have if you notice an increase in amount of time it takes too boot or it hangs at boot).. then you must no try to access data rather you must just copy as much data as you can off that hard-disk to a new (or different) one then you must try to get data (i.e. to access your account and other things)... Keep your first priority to recovering (copying) data from that hard-disk.

I prefer :
    http://www.lnx4n6.be/index.php?sec=D...ds&page=bootcd

(i just checked the link and seems to be down for the time being... Ill search for some good one's (free) and update... Till then take care and dont use the disk too much.)

EDIT :

Okay there are a binch of freeware's that you can get here... but just for the sake of it please use the software... get to know it and then use it on the damaged hard-disk..

http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_...=data+recovery
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Thanks for the quick reply ByTe, I can no longer log into windows using that hard drive. I can access pretty much everything on the drive using an external enclosure except for my Admin Profile, in which I kept alot of important information.

I was wondering if there was a way for me to access that folder with the drive being in the external enclosure since I know the password for the profile already? Or a way to get the drive to accept my Profile's credentials?

Just Another Geek
    You don't need the password. Take ownership of the files.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Originally posted here by SirDice
    You don't need the password. Take ownership of the files.
    Correct. Unless of course, they decided to use encryption on their profile (EFS). If they didn't export their key and save it in a safe location... then as far as I know... they're fscked. However, normally just taking ownership is enough.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

A laptop huh?

Bad news pal, it probably has a hard drive encryption and password protection algorithm. I guess you should talk to the manufacturer first.................. you did not tell us the make and model?

If you can prove ownership, then they will help you ( at a truly horrific price )

The problem with modern lappies is they all have their own way of dealing with security

I really need more specific information mate!

I had a drive go bad in my laptop which is an HP 8000 and I was running EFS at the time. More specifically I had encrypted my profile to protect My Documents and my application data. I had dropped the laptop about 3ft and caused massive bad sectors. I removed the drive from the laptop and mounted it in a external enclosure, and attached it to my workstation with an admin account. The admin account I was using had the same credentials as my laptop profile, but I had to still take ownership of the files because of the difference of the sids. After running a scan disk that ended up taking 18 hours for a 40 gb drive I was able to retrieve my data. So much for EFS.

The admin account I was using had the same credentials as my laptop profile
    Net2- What do you mean the admin account had the same credentials? If it was a domain, domain admin is usually a recovery agent.

Local machine admin accounts will have a different SID, so the credentials will not be the same... Unless you copied the EFS key between the machines before the one machine died there is no way you just swapped disks and it magically worked.

I would suspect you didn't have EFS setup properly. People have been trying to hack EFS since it came out. I doubt you just accidentally did it.

Hey guys, sorry for not being more specific. The laptop I have is a IBM r50e Thinkpad running Windows XP Pro. I really think I'm screwed now because I was running EFS on the machine.

AOs Resident Troll
    mohaughn has brought up an excellent point about encryption....

Unless you have a copy of the key stored somewhere else....your pretty well flucked

vynkz...I am not sure about "drive" encryption

but if the whole drive was encrypted...then you shouldnt have access to any of it???

No

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer