Thread: psu ?

psu ?

Hi, I bought a case about a year ago and put my system together, but I'm curious to know about my power supply as thats one thing i don't know much about, it's about 475 watts i think, but my question is, everytime i shut down my cpu, am i suppose to turn the switch off on the back of the power supply to or should I always leave this on?

You do not NEED to turn PSU itself off unless you are adding/removing hardware.
    While the switch on the PSU is on there will still be voltage running into your motherboard but this voltage is a minimal amount.
    \"Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not circles, and bark is not smooth,
    nor does lightning travel in a straight line.\" -Benoit Mandelbrot

Hi,

In the UK the wall socket generally has a switch on it, so that is where I turn it off. That eliminates any potential fire hazard.

There is also the issue of power consumption. Typically leaving your MoBo on standby doesn't consume as much as your monitor (particularly if it is CRT), but over a year you will be surprised how much devices in the home left on standby can consume..............computer, TV, HiFi, VCR, CD/DVD etc.

Certainly enough for a good night on the beer, which is a much better way of spending the money IMO

ok

Thanks ya'll for the help, the reason i asked is because when I don't cut the switch on the back off my modem light still stays on, im on cable, the online light is still lit, when i turn it off the online light goes out? normal i guess?

Yes David,

The modem is presumably a USB device, so it draws its power through the MoBo. If the MoBo is on standby, so are all the devices it powers.