Thread: when will we see 1TB hard drives.?

Banned

when will we see 1TB hard drives.?

Well i'm sitting here at work, and i'm like so so bored, anyhow i just wanted to know what you all thought on this..?

what peoples opinions are on when we will see 1TB hard drives now that Seagate have started producing drives using perpendicular storage..?

Do you think it's a good thing, or would you be a little paranoid with storing that much data on a drive of that size etc..

cheers
    acidtone..

Banned
    I just read in PCWorld that Harvard Medical School researchers have "produced a prototype of a protein coating they believe will eventually store up to 50 TB on a DVD-size disc. By modifying a light-sensitive protein found in microbes that live in salt marshes, the team created a medium resilient enough to store data for years. NEC, which has been codeveloping the technology, hopes to have a USB thumb drive a year from now, and a DVD-size disc a year after that."

Just a side note

AFLAAACKKK!!
    New technology like this scares me... First generation technology has a bad record of being foolproof... I would give these new storage devices (this includes terabyte HDD's) at least a year or 2 before you start saving anything of real importance on them... But I hope that's common sense...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Hi acid~ ............ perpendicular storage for dummies:

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/resear.../pr/index.html

WARNING! This is a flash animation with sound!!!

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/resear...Animation.html

In answer to your question: I don't think that most mere mortals actually have a need for terrabyte scale storage, and if they did, I am sure that the RIAA and MPAA would be very interested

So, I would expect to see them in servers first. Those would have to be manufactured to very high standards and will be very expensive (a bit like comparing a Xeon to a P4). However, there would be significant reductions in footprints, and in overall power consumption, which would presumably justify the investment?

There might be improvements in access times that would have a spin off for gaming and graphics applications?

It is my personal feeling that over the past few years, hardware technology has tended to run ahead of the rest of the IT sector.

For day to day home and office activities, a PI with a 5400rpm hard drive is quite adequate. Basically the human mind (and fingers! ) can only go at a certain speed. Similarly, we, as individuals, can only handle a certain amount of data. So who could actually manage a terrabyte of relevant information?

Just a few thoughts.

EDIT:

Come to think of it, 1Tb drives have been around for a while as external devices. This is using current technology, so I suspect that they are 4 x 250Gb in a RAID array with a controller all packaged into an external container.

There is possibly an application for this sort of thing in a SOHO or home network environment as a shared backup device. But that really makes it little more innovative than a file server?

Originally posted here by nihil
    I don't think that most mere mortals actually have a need for terrabyte scale storage
    No, but it sure would be cool... and as soon as it's available, people will start making apps to max it out. Imagine the kind of games you could run if you had effectively no limitation on how much drive space they could take up!
    Information wants to be a fireman when it grows up.

and as soon as it's available, people will start making apps to max it out
    Not at a grand a go, I don't think

From a gaming viewpoint you also have to consider access times................OK mate, I fully appreciate that this is very early days, and that I am talking the old (fat) technology, but latency is an issue.

What you have to watch for is what I call "butterfly technology"?........... like it emerges from the chrysallis and is very pretty, and two weeks later it is dead?

Right now, I would say that the smart money is on solid state, particularly the innovative kind of stuff Negative was talking about.

Just my personal thoughts at the moment

To answer AT's original question:

when we will see 1TB hard drives now that Seagate have started producing drives using perpendicular storage
    My initial answer is "What is the Time Now!"....

2000s

* 2002 - 137 GB addressing space barrier broken
    * 2003 - Serial ATA introduced
    * 2005 - First 500 GB hard drive shipping (Hitachi GST)
    * 2005 - Serial ATA 3G standardized
    * 2005 - Seagate introduces Tunnel MagnetoResistive Read Sensor (TMR) and Thermal Spacing Control
    * 2005 - Introduction of faster SAS (Serial Attached SCSI)
    * 2005 - Perpendicular recording introduced in consumer HDDs (Toshiba)
    * 2006 - First 750 GB hard drive (Seagate)
    * 2006 - First 200 GB 2.5" Hard Drive utilizing Perpendicular recording (Toshiba)
    * 2006 - Seagate announces research into nanotube-lubricated HDDs with capacities of several terabits per square inch, making possible a 7.5 Terabyte 3.5" HDD[6]
    from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk
    HAve heard of HDDs in the market place of the 750 to 800Gb range.. so the 1x10^12 byte drive wont be far away.. pick a release date.. but a true binary rated 1Tb drive will be a bit beyond that

As for:
    I don't think that most mere mortals actually have a need for terrabyte scale storage
    wasnt it mr William Gates III who said something abot 640kb of ram?

Seriously.. average home joes who have had 80gb hdds in their pc's and useing there pc for the legit home office use, accounts, wp, basic spreadsheets, and some Internet are lucky to have used more than 25% total drive space..

Home users normaly expect speed.. and think that hard drive size is related to speed.. so while the numbers keep growing many people will buy the largest thinking it will give them better performance.. But I agree that solidstate will be the best.. I would rather a 20GB lightning fast solidstate HDD, and near instant cold boot speed for my work and home use than a 500Gb mechanical hdd..

now that said.. people with media center PC's will expect and happilly use what ever large size hdd their given..

as for me..man the sooner I get another 1TB of storage the better..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr