Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making a secure computer: Is there an end to it?

hi,

Of course you can! Just realize in advance that it will be a paper based on theory instead of fact. As far as I am concerned theory is often times a better read, as it tends to captivate the imagination. Go ahead and write it.

u certainly have a point there. Keep sendin more on what u think or what can be done?

thnx
    CodeNameVirus

T3h Ch3F

Hey

Originally posted here by codenamevirus
    Keep sendin more on what u think or what can be done.

I will write the paper for you and you won't learn a thing! I do accept Paypal though.

Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

Hi people !

Me and codenamevirus are in the same college and in the same team creating the project. Well we had some thought sessions on the search for the topic to do research on.

I suppose i'm not hijacking the thread but elaborating our point furthur.

What we though gave us certain pathways to move on but being still in the college and not a part of the industry we might not have the same level of exposure to trends and technologies in practice at present. What i want to convey here is that we do not intend to do research on something which we don't know but has been done before.

Heres a glimpse of what we had in mind. I request you to elaborate the pros and cons on following any one of the topics or suggest some new ones. We will proceed accordingly and be in constant touch with you guys.

1. Improving security (Data) through changes in File System
    2. Improving secutity (Network) through analysis of attacks causing max damage and thereby ways on improving.
    3. Improving security in OS through the modifications in the way it interacts with the network and the data that passes through it.

Well we're at a starting juncture and the above topics are generalizations of the kind of work we intend to do. Please give your comments on these or further suggestions on other topics relating to data or network security.

Also if you know about any current research or project going on in the same areas we're interested in knowing that too.

Kindly Guide !
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

Well frenz...I dont know if I should tell this or not...I am just a BIG newbie as compared to the great expertise of you all...even though I will like to compare this situation to a story ... I heard some time ago:

There was a KING once upon a time. He built a big palace...But he put only one BIG door in the palace. then he invited another KING from nearby state to see how his Palace was. The other King commented after looking at the palace that "Everything is right...except that you have put ONE door....you should have closed it completely". "But what would be the use of it...I will die without that ONE door" replaied the first king.

Similar is the case with a computer...The MOST secure computer is the one which is completely isolated but then...it has no use at all. Again, removing everything increases its vulnerability. So all you can do is to put in Minimum number of outer world contact with high security! thats all that can be said.

Now as far as exploits are concerned, sofware development and maintenance is an EXTREMELY complex task and the exploits will be there for sure! So no system can be SECURE.

So I at the end would say that "A SECURE COMPUTER CAN"T BE PREPARED".
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

hi,

We dun want others to write the papers for us then again it doest mean we dont want their help.

MysteryMan, already gave the thoughts, we are willin to go on with.

So I at the end would say that "A SECURE COMPUTER CAN"T BE PREPARED".
    I know, we cant make a computer completely secure but we can increase the security level for our machines. And that's we want to work on!!

the answer is "yes, the day after Armageddon or Apocalypse". If you are Hindu, I believe that you call it "Pralay"?

You see, we are talking about machines here, if they fall into the wrong hands..................?
    nihil, I complete understand ur point, perhaps that's very much correct even. But, as I said, we want to increase the level, if not completely curb it(which would be ideal, but ideals never exist, do they?)

At present, we are looking into security in networks.

And, I think, there's no way to end the physical leaks....like a stolen pc.....

thnx

thnx
    CodeNameVirus