Thread: Can this program cause a BSOD?

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

Can this program cause a BSOD?

I was wondering if a program could cause a BSOD? because I needed a program to convert quicktime videos into windows media player videos. someone ( not from this site) recommended me THIS program WARNING WEBSITE MAY BE BAD? anyway i went to the website it looked professional enough and i downloaded the program... i got almost all the way thru the install actually i think i did get all the way thru it. Well when i went to start the program it just BSOD my pc BAM! just like that! now im not sure if my computer just randomly crapped out on me or it was because of the program. Weird thing was i reset my pc to get rid of the BSOD and it wouldnt boot! tried multiple times.... the fan would spin and the hard drive would start but it wouldnt get past POST. well eventually i disconnected everything and reconnected then after that i booted again but this time I booted into Last Known Good and uninstalled that program. any ideas?

P.S. I think that program was called something like MOV Converter or something and I THINK their website ( I linked yall too it) is safe but i wasnt sure so i put the warning there anyway.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

i'd say install the program again, run it again, and see if it happens again. If so, then copy down the error-dependent values and see if you can utilize those numbers to locate the problem.

Code:
    number of error (parameter, parameter, parameter, parameter) name of error

If not, I'm willing to bet it was just windows ****ing up, like usual.

Possibly, however, there is a way to manually and purposefully cause a BSOD, by adding a registry key that does so, possibly this program contains that key, or enables that key.

Hi Tex~ ,

I have had a look at the site and it seems genuine enough. It appears to try to sell the software, and accepts all the major credit cards.

I did a quick Google search and got 204,000 hits for Allok Soft Inc. without noticing anything bad about them.

Maybe it was a corrupt download/installation, or just a Windows glitch like er0k said. I would suggest:

1. Download software (check size of downloaded file to that on website)
    2. Scan for malware
    3. Disconnect from internet
    4. Turn off AV and firewall
    5. Install software

See what happens then

As for your general question on BSODs, I would say "yes". I once had an installation of NT 4.0 SP5 that gave me 100% reliable BSODs if I did a search in Windows Explorer, then told it to display the results in landscape rather than portrait. I re-installed Windows and it stopped

thanx for the advice yall. I will re-download the program and see what happens, i will keep yall posted.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Texan: if you haven't do the download, etc. I might be able to save you some time. I created a quick and dirty XP virtual machine, downloaded the app, installed it and ran it with ProcessExplorer and WireShark in the background. Nothing happened. I wonder if it's possible that the application hit on some bad hardware when it launched and caused a corruption in the process (more like a coincidence than anything)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Msm, Thanks alot! I have been soooo busy with my new job that I havent been able to do it... I guess it was just a weird fluke hmmm... windows lol. anyway have a good one and thanx to all.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted