Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: p2p

Originally posted here by nihil
    Two questions:

1. Is that a legitimate and licenced version of Spy Sweeper?

2. How do you know that your filesharing software is "clean" and is not in fact a version that also installs spyware?

Yes, of course, it is a legitimate version of Spy Sweeper, I wouldn't dare use cracked security softwares, I'm quite paranoid. The latest version were received by email from Webroot on July 25th, it was the ss_505_1286_Full_FR.exe file.

My only filesharing soft, eMule (the installation file is eMule0.47a-Installer.exe) comes from http://www.emule-project.net/. Moreover, it has been running properly for monthes without any problem. That's y the question is : does the problem come from an anti-p2p patch sent by Webroot or from a virused file I would have downloaded? Neither NAV 2006 nor any anti-spyware nor any on-line scan detected anything. Then I thought NAV 2006 coud have been neutralized by some virused file. The on-line scans tested are the following :
    Panda AV
    Panda Spy Xposer
    BitDefender Scan OnLine
    X-Cleaner Micro Edition

+ the antispyware scan available on http://www.spywareguide.com/onlinescan.php.

No one found anything.

Oops, it's http://www.spywareguide.com/onlinescan.php , without the period.

Hmmmm,

My warning was based on the fact that there are sites with malware on them, or infected versions of legitimate programs. Not to mention that the RIAA/MPAA and their minions might not be above a few "dirty tricks"

With Spy Sweeper, I seem to recall that there are two screens that come up and you select something like "always ignore" and "always delete"

I also seem to remember that SS had to detect the suspicious software first , then you had to tell it to ignore it? I don't think that there was a mechanism to select stuff to be ignored first?

I am not sure, but I seem to recall thinking that this was a bit of a PITA, as you had to let SS discover the application, delete it, then you instructed SS to ignore it, then you had to reinstall it.

I haven't played with a recent version, but maybe this is still the case?

I did think at the time, that this was rather long-winded and not a very intuitive way of going about things.

Sorry if I am completely off track with this, but I haven't used SS in a while, and the symptoms you describe do seem to match what I recall SS doing when I had it running?

Indeed, usually SpSw first annouces a detection and asks you what to do with it. Usually. But not this time. And I'm sure SpSw is involved as the problem stops when SpSw's shield is deactivated.

What is "PITA" for?

Hmmmm,

Once again, I could be wrong, but it sounds as if you loaded SS onto a machine that already had eMule on it? that could explain the problem, as I don't think SS asks you in those circumstances.

You could try deleting eMule, loading SS, then reinstalling eMule, maybe it would ask you then?

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hmmmm,

Once again, I could be wrong, but it sounds as if you loaded SS onto a machine that already had eMule on it? that could explain the problem, as I don't think SS asks you in those circumstances.

You could try deleting eMule, loading SS, then reinstalling eMule, maybe it would ask you then?
    Already tried this. When I launch eMule0.47a-Installer.exe (of course from my external HDD), it extracts normally all needed files, but when I look into C:\Program Files\Emule, all the needed files are in there, except emule.exe and LinkCreator.exe. The most strange in this problem is that it only occurs on my internal HDD. I got 2 external HDD, one is generally switched off as it's used for backup purpose, but the other one is permanently switched on and connected to my system. However, even with Spy Sweeper shield enabled, eMule0.47a-Installer.exe remains on it, as it instantly disappears from my C:\ or D:\ drive if I try a copy-paste of it...