Thread: Closing multiple unnecesary ports

Closing multiple unnecesary ports

How do you know which ports to close? And does every port prove to be a vulnerability that has the potential to compromise security?

Hey Hey,

Try asking questions in a more logical way.... give us some details to work with... Why are you asking... What is your end goal... What operating system are you looking at... For something as generic as you're asking... The answer is go search google...(I've linked it in case you're unaware of it)...

With those additions (perhaps some friendliness in your posts as well) I'm sure you'd find plenty of people willing to reply... but for now I suggest you read http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=264811 and then come back with something more than a single line.

Peace,
    HT

Additionally,

How do you know which ports to close? And does every port prove to be a vulnerability that has the potential to compromise security?
    Please check out the answers to these questions:

1. What is a "port"?
    2. What is an "exploit"?
    3. What is a "vulnerability"?
    4. What is a "service"?

In particular, you need to appreciate the dependencies and relationships between them

Then ask yourself: "why is stealth mode NOT stealthy ?

A few pointers to get you started:

1. A "port" is like a seaport or airport. It is a point at which traffic flows in and out.
    2. An "exploit" is an application or methodology for achieving the unintended in an otherwise legitimate environment.
    3. A "vulnerability" is a flaw that allows an exploit to take place, although not all vulnerabilities have live exploits for them...........they represent a potential for exploitation.
    4. A "service" is a facility running that may well use a port, that may have vulnerabilities, that may have exploits for them. Otherwise, it is just a facility that the computer supports.

When you Google search for these terms, you will find many papers covering a whole range of aspects of the subject.

For examples I would suggest looking for "IIS vulnerabilities"

Here are some possibly useful links you might like to browse:

[1] http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/
    [2] http://www.sans.org/
    [3] http://www.ciac.org/ciac/index.html
    [4] http://www.securityfocus.com/

They should at least give you an idea of the enormous size of the topic you are raising

I shall finish with a very trite but sincere answer, that is all I can think of to your current question:

1. If your machine is stand alone and does not connect to a network then no port or service is relevant from a security viewpoint.
    2. If you do connect to a network, only allow services that you ACTUALLY USE to run ........ that should make sense from a systems stability and performance angle as well?

ok

all right i am a open-minded individual allow me to start over. Can someone please tell me whether or not ports that i do not frequently use should be closed or left alone. Because although I personally do not use them, that doesn't mean that my computer doesn't, so should I take the risk of closing them? That was simply what I was asking. And thank you Regz for the advice I will keep it in mind. Thank you Nihil for answering for giving me some direction so I can do some more in-depth research. I'll look into it.

Well, assuming you're running Windows XP, it has a built-in firewall which manages and blocks your computer's ports for you. Otherwise, just download a firewall app like ZoneAlarm. Managing ports is what firewalls are for.

As for blocking and unblocking specific ports, much of that's going to depend on whether or not the computer's networked, or if it's a standalone.

Just make sure you've got a firewall running, and you'll be OK. And make sure your PC is getting all the Windows updates, which covers most vulnerabilities.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Ok thanks for the information. And you were right it is a XP sorry I did not mention that earlier.

AOs Resident Troll
    Well...I guess it all depends on your setup..

If its a home computer...go buy a NAT router...that will stop things from getting in...

Enable your windows firewall...have antimalware software

get your windows updates

and always practice good surfing habits

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer