Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Avoid Password Window in WIN XP??????

How To Avoid Password Window in WIN XP??????

We have to enter password in Win XP for logging in but we can simply press escape to avoid the password window in Win 98.
    Is there any way so that user is bound to enter password in Win 98?? or
    Is there any way so that user can press escape and log in(It may be account of limited user, power user or administrator)??

In Windows 98 there is a registy tweak that you can do to make it so that a user must enter a password before using the computer. I've done it several times before...I just googled (was actually using yahoo back then) it up...wait...here's a link right here.

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/629/

Your second question, "is there anyway so that a user can press escape and log in" I'm assuming you are talking about Windows XP here. Although you can't press escape and just bypass the login box in windows xp, you can setup your machine so that it automatically logs in as a certain user.

read this thread for more info on that one:

http://antionline.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=253667
    "Do you know why the system is slow?" they ask

"It's probably something to do with..." I look up today's excuse ".. clock speed"
    -BOFH

but you will require the admin priviledge to perform the second tweak...so it is useless for someone who needs entry to the machine without being known by others..... SO it might not work for you rock...if you want to get into maqchine you dont have admin oriviledges of and then you try to get into that machine without the permission of the owner!! Am I right treanglin?? [I THINK I AM COZ I HAVE DONE THAT BEFORE AND HAVE TRIED TO BREAK THAT SECURITY BUT HAVE FAILED TO DO SO]
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

Hmmm,

Might I respectfully suggest some study of IT history?

Like Windows 95/98/98SE/ME were actually designed for home computers, whereas NT was the commercial offering?

The "crossover" happened because of laptops mostly. You see NT 4.0 did not support energy saving or USB ..............this introduced a problem into commercial environments that should not have happened. We were basically forced to use "home security" stuff on our commercial networks . Naturally this was sorted with NT 5.0 (which is Windows 2000 to those who believe marketing types?)

for a big box brand name computer.... it's hit or miss going the adiministrator way .. ... that's a nice trick i use all the time at work

control-alt-delete twice .... administrator .. no password

Automatic logins: the lazy man's way to get hacked.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Hi,

The password in Windows 95 and 98 but IIRC not 98SE was not for logging in to Windows per say but for opening Internet Explorer.

Press escape on 98 and yes, you can 'log in' to windows without entering a password but if you then try to open up IE it will ask you for the password then, and pressing escape does not work.
    XP or NT bases O/S's are different as they support multiple users in a different way than 98 / 95 does due NTFS amongst other reasons!

Originally posted here by brokencrow
    Automatic logins: the lazy man's way to get hacked.
    Care to explain this... I have my home computer with Automatic Logins... How's that going to get me hacked..

My building has a lock on the door, my apartment has 2 locks on the door and the room the computer is in has a lock on the door.... How does it allow me to easy get hacked because I have automatic login??

My building has a lock on the door, my apartment has 2 locks on the door and the room the computer is in has a lock on the door.... How does it allow me to easy get hacked because I have automatic login?
    Well, that's great, HT. Not everyone has that kind of physical security and/or control over who has access to their PC's. If you want to take your physical security for granted, go ahead. I've seen too much in my life to ever take any security for granted. Everything from murdered friends to break-ins to stolen computers to stolen emails.

I use laptops exclusively, so there's no way I'd ever use it. Nor could I ever recommend automatic login in good conscience to ANYONE unless they were altogether unconcerned with their data, no matter how many locks they had on their doors.

Now go flame somebody else, dood...
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Originally posted here by brokencrow
    Well, that's great, HT. Not everyone has that kind of physical security and/or control over who has access to their PC's. If you want to take your physical security for granted, go ahead. I've seen too much in my life to ever take any security for granted. Everything from murdered friends to break-ins to stolen computers to stolen emails.

I use laptops exclusively, so there's no way I'd ever use it. Nor could I ever recommend automatic login in good conscience to ANYONE unless they were altogether unconcerned with their data, no matter how many locks they had on their doors.

Now go flame somebody else, dood...
    It's not a flame... It's a legit question... Which you still haven't actually answered... A laptop is one thing but even so.. a Stolen Computer is a Stolen Computer... regardless of physical security it could be stolen... so if it's stolen... even if you don't have auto login... the person will get the Data if they want it... or wipe it and start fresh... So Autologin doesn't help them... If they want in, they'll get in... Put the hard drive as a secondary in another machine... use the NT Password CD and change the password... reset bios passwords by opening the case... You keep throwing obscure comments out... and this one doesn't make sense so I'm calling you to explain it.. Autologin doesn't help hackers... and you're being called on your BS... so explain yourself or accept that you are wrong.