Thread: Portable Nmap

Portable Nmap

I'm hooked on portable apps right now. I found portable Firefox (which I'm using right now) and was like...Wow! Yes! this is what I've been looking for. Then I stumbled across this portable nmap program and my heart skipped a beat.

This guy's made it so that you don't have to install winpcap to use these windows programs. That way, you can just put them on your usb drive and have them handy when you need them.

Here's what the developer says

About this project

A few months ago microOLAP Technologies (the developers of the Packet Sniffer SDK) released free WinPCap to PSSDK migration module. Since I'm a registered customer of PSSDK I decided to try to port some well-known network tools to win32 with it.
    Here are the programs:

ethereal- "THE network traffic analyzer"

ngrep-"a pcap-aware tool that will allow you to specify extended regular or hexadecimal expressions to match against data payloads of packets."

nmap-Port scanner....and then some.

showtraf-displays current network traffic on a network interface card.

snort- IDS

tcpdump- displays network traffic

nemesis- Packet crafting tool.

Here is the website.

http://packetstuff.com/index.htm

The only problem, however, is that all of the versions on the site are from last year.
    "Do you know why the system is slow?" they ask

"It's probably something to do with..." I look up today's excuse ".. clock speed"
    -BOFH

It's been a little while, so I thought I would drop this off for your review to go along with the portable topic. This eWeek article is referencing a portable pen-testing device, called "Silica". I did not research the company yet, but it sounds interesting to take a look. Take a read when you get a chance.

'Pen' Testing in the Palm of Your Hand
    By Ryan Naraine
    August 15, 2006

A portable hacking device equipped with hundreds of exploits and an automated exploitation system will go on sale in the United States in October.

The wireless handheld, called Silica, is the latest product to be developed by Immunity, a Miami-based security company that sells penetration testing products and services.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2003853,00.asp
    \"We\'re the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We\'ve all been raised by television to believe that one day we\'ll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won\'t. And we\'re learning slowly that fact. And we\'re very, very pissed off.\" - Tyler (Brad Pitt) Fight Club.