Thread: I think I've made a mess of Ubuntu...

Question I think I've made a mess of Ubuntu...

Oh man, so I'm trying to get kismet going with my wireless card and I have Ubuntu 2.6 dual booted with Windows Server 2003 and for some reason after updating my packages I have a second Ubuntu install and a second recovery mode showing up in grub now. The items on my deskop are the same in both yet the sound doesnt work when I run the first Ubuntu install. Any ideas what I may have done? Yeah I'm a linux newb so bear with me.

Try installing the xine codecs for the sound, it should be in the package manager (be sure to toggle the unsupported components button).

If that doesn't work, try installing the other codecs for the mp3 (et al.) filetypes (also found in the "audio and visual" section of the package manager).

I hope this helps, I'm exhausted and can be more precise in the morning.
    "The Texan turned out to be good-natured, generous and likeable. In three days no one could stand him." Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

Buddies? I have no buddies...

Give the BSD daemon some love (proud FreeBSD user)

You've probably updated the kernel - that's why you have more than one option, because you can choose between your old kernel and your new one.

Cheers,

-jk

Originally posted here by J_K9
    You've probably updated the kernel - that's why you have more than one option, because you can choose between your old kernel and your new one.

Cheers,

-jk

Ahhhh that would make sense... I was following directions I found here when it told me to install some extra repositories and update my system. Both of the Ubuntu options are the same version though, does that make sense? If I am choosing between my old and new kernal, how do I remove the old one or are they just going to kep stacking up in grub? Thanks for the help guys!

Originally posted here by Arkimedes
    Try installing the xine codecs for the sound, it should be in the package manager (be sure to toggle the unsupported components button).

If that doesn't work, try installing the other codecs for the mp3 (et al.) filetypes (also found in the "audio and visual" section of the package manager).

I hope this helps, I'm exhausted and can be more precise in the morning.
    I apreciate the tips but I dont think thats the problem. My sound worked fine initially and is working when I boot into one of my ubuntu options but not the other. I'm more concerned about where the other option came from, lol!

Originally posted here by Liquid_Darkness
    I'm more concerned about where the other option came from, lol!
    It came from how I explained above

I can almost guarantee that the options are different, as each new kernel installed will add an entry to GRUB's menu.lst (/boot/grub/menu.lst). If you want to remove one of the kernels (you said that your sound doesn't work with the new one?), you can follow this tutorial: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...06#post1301606

HTH,

-jk