Thread: How to Install GNOME on Minix?

How to Install GNOME on Minix?

OK, long story short, after getting a junk computer, I installed Minix on it (first time I'm using it, it's fun!) and I'd prefer to install GNOME on it.

Is there any official way to do this or would I have to hack the pre-existing GNOME to work on Minix?

I don't know if this has been tried before, but I suspect it hasn't since several exhaustive google searches came up empty

I just installed it and I installed all 48 packages onto the junk computer, X11 runs fine but I want gnome (or CDE even!) rather than the given desktop environment. I have no clue how to approach this though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    "The Texan turned out to be good-natured, generous and likeable. In three days no one could stand him." Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

Buddies? I have no buddies...

Give the BSD daemon some love (proud FreeBSD user)

do you have gtk, atk, pango, etc. installed? Just wondering..

Sadly, no I don't have any of those programs installed.

I'm getting them onto a DVD and installing them as we speak, after this what would I download (GNOME itself?).

Thanks!
    "The Texan turned out to be good-natured, generous and likeable. In three days no one could stand him." Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

OK, now I've run into a stupid problem with ASH (the minix equivalent of BASH), I can't figure out how to copy the tar.gz files from a DVD to the /tmp/ directory.

I've got the files I need to install gtk, pongo, et al. on the DVD. I've tried "cp /CD /tmp" but it didn't work (naturally).

So now I'm stuck by my own ignorance of ASH.

mount /path/to/dvd/ then try (as root)