Thread: Wireless Router Dropping

Wireless Router Dropping

I have researched this problem and have found mentions of it on this site along with many others, but none have a fullproof resolution.

The problem: I am trying to help someone who had a comcast technician setup wireless in their house. They used a netgear cg814wg wireless router and also some default security measures.

I fixed the security and brought up the additional 3 systems they had in the house and the connection seems to keep dropping when one of the people start gaming. There is no complaints 90% of the time, unless this person is gaming and it drops atleast once often more.

(since the router is a special version for ISPs you cannot upgrade the firmware)

Have you seen this issue and what would you suggest?

unless this person is gaming and it drops atleast once often more
    I had this happen with my Dlink and America's Army...it would send out a broadcast looking for a LAN game and something about it made the Dlink croak...literally. Is it a specific game or any game? If one game seems to do it more than another, you might try to have them play that game while a traffic dump is running on that system...see if you can spot any strange traffic (especially around when the router actually drops)...If its something about a particular packet or a broadcast, you might could take action on the localsystem to stop that from happening...On another note, the POS that I have seems to not really care for alot of traffic and tends to respond by dumping in those situations as well (granted I was doing some rather un-nice port scans at the time, but hey )...

You also might consider signal interferance...are there any wireless components on the systems that are playing the game (mice/keyboards/headsets/etc)...might be something to look into, might not.

Anyway, just my thoughts...

Good luck running it down, I've found it usually tends to be a pain...
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)