Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norton Internet security problem

Norton Internet security problem

I installed Norton Internet security 2006 onto a reformatted PC today and everything seemed okay until I came to turn the computer off. A box came up with "C: DebugLogLog" written in it. After I had clicked okay, the computer wouldn't turn off. I had to literally go to start and close at the computer eight times before it started to close down and then they would just get stuck on the blue screen with logging off. The only way I could turn the computer off was to press the button on the front of the CPU. I uninstalled Norton Internet security and everything seems find so it looks like is the programme that is causing a problem. It doesn't do it on any other computer I have the programme on though.

Try reinstalling NIS. This kind of thing is often solved by reinstalling. Also, NIS uses up a lot of resources. Were you running many programs at the time?
    Well...its not gonna get much better than linux!

I did reinstall it but it did again. I did uninstall its again but got a warning that I might not be able to install it again

Hi try the info at this link... http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

Assuming of course you are using WinXP...but it will work for Win2K as well

Windows XP shutdown issues mostly center around a very few issues, especially legacy hardware and software compatibility issues.

Currently, the leading cause of Windows XP shutdown problems is hardware incompatibility, including driver issues. These are detailed below where known. However, it is impossible to list every possible hardware or driver issue individually. My best advice is: Check all drivers for all hardware devices to ensure that they are the current best for Windows XP.
    Or you could try this: My computer/Right click/Properties/Advanced/Error Reporting "disable" see if that makes a difference?

Startup/Shutdown/Logon/Logoff Status Messages (Line 69)
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Luck..
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

i had the same problem with NIS 2005...never did get it to work properly...after 2 fdisk and formats I tossed the CD and swore I'd never use a symantec consumer product again...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

If you don't want to waste your money, contact Symantec support here
    Well...its not gonna get much better than linux!

I got such problems with NORTON ghost!! but you know I am an expert in solving such annoying problems....so I reformatteD!!! ha ha ha....

ANyway I think that your CDs might have been corrupted ( as was the case with me). Try getting the CDs replaced with your software vendor. Hope that will solve.

@dalek : I think that the issue here is not hardware incompatibility because he states that the system returned normal as and when he uninstalled it from the system. So there is no such harware incompatibility I think!!
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

I think that the issue here is not hardware incompatibility...
    You never know with older hardware (although we don't know the specs of IG's hardware at this point).

In my experience, new software on old hardware...well...in the Bible there's a saying about how you don't put new wine in old wineskins, or sew new cloth onto old cloth.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Well,

I would not install Norton on anything, out of preference. It causes more problems than it is worth in my experience.

Does your system work in safe mode ?

Try:

1. In BIOS set up, and Windows, turn off all power saving, screensaver and wallpaper nonsense, then retry your shutdown.
    2. Before you shutdown, go to your system tray (the one filled with all those little icons that you never use ) and manually close them, where you have the option.
    3. Test again, and it should shut down properly.
    4. By gradually NOT shutting things down manually, you should find which application Norton is conflicting with.
    5. If you uninstall and reinstall that application, you should be OK because Norton will be higher up the food chain

And people accuse Microsoft of selling crapware?

Norton is not the only software to have these problems, it just seems the most common in my experience.

Favourite conflicts would be a firewall, online malware scanner of some sort, and SpyBot's "teatimer"

ack! phtt!

Hi

Download and install User Profile Hive Cleanup Tool

Overview
    The User Profile Hive Cleanup service helps to ensure user sessions are completely terminated when a user logs off. System processes and applications occasionally maintain connections to registry keys in the user profile after a user logs off. In those cases the user session is prevented from completely ending. This can result in problems when using Roaming User Profiles in a server environment or when using locked profiles as implemented through the Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XP.

On Windows 2000 you can benefit from this service if the application event log shows event id 1000 where the message text indicates that the profile is not unloading and that the error is "Access is denied". On Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 either event ids 1517 and 1524 indicate the same profile unload problem.

To accomplish this the service monitors for logged off users that still have registry hives loaded. When that happens the service determines which application have handles opened to the hives and releases them. It logs the application name and what registry keys were left open. After this the system finishes unloading the profile.

Luck
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson