Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: explorer.exe application error

explorer.exe application error

Hi,
    Lately my computer has been displaying explorer.exe application errors like "'0x02ea6041' referenced memory at '0x02ea6041'. The memory could not be 'read'." randomly when I start programs such as firefox. Every time I have to manually start explorer.exe and there are always a few icons missing from the tray though their processes are still running. I was wondering why this is happening. I scanned with Zonelabs Antivirus, Ewido, A-Squared, Spybot, and Microsoft Defender. This might not be a virus. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Also, I searched on Yahoo, so please, no "search Google" BS.

-Al1aprize
    Well...its not gonna get much better than linux!

Hmmm, could be hardware. You got anything to test your RAM? Try Ultimate Boot CD to shake down your hardware.

Hardware problems often show up as software issues.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

I am no expert in this area...so all I would say that try to get the file expanded from the CD or if that doesnt work, boot from the CD and let it repair automatically...that shoulod solve your problem.....hopefully! Thats the easiest way it can be solved if it not a hardware problem. From how many days by the way are you having the problem?
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

Hey,

No, by now I know that this problem is not a hardware problem. My computer runs WinXP SP2.
    I have had this problem for a few months now.

Thanks.

You might try this:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

Then this:

http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

No, by now I know that this problem is not a hardware problem
    ...........how do you "know".........what have you done to verify this?

Try these:

http://www.memtest86.com/
    http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

The last one will really stress your memory and processor. Both need to run for at least an hour

Now get this, boot into safe mode and run it.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Run the disk check and defrag.

If that doesn't work, the next step is to disable as much as possible from startup and see if that fixes the problem. Gradually reintroduce things until you find the culprit.

Incidentally, what are your hardware specs?

Sony Comp
    1 GB memory (upgraded by me :-p)
    80 GB hard drive
    WinXP Home Edition SP2
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz (bah! go AMD)

So far I have run CCleaner, lspfix, and the torture test. No results except removed a few cookies. I just installed IE7 beta 3 so I don't think its a problem with IE.

Hmmmm,

I just installed IE7 beta 3 so I don't think its a problem with IE.
    Was that before or after the problems? what version of IE were you running just before and just after the problem.

Also......... did you install SP2 around then?

I installed IE7 after the problem. Recently too. I installed SP2 way back when it first came out.

Hi

Open your Task Manager and have a close look at your processes, you may have a "rogue" process, you can use this link to get information on most processes... Processes Library look closely as Malware try to imitate legit processes..ie. lsass.exe

lsass.exe is a system process of the Microsoft Windows security mechanisms. It specifically deals with local security and login policies. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Note: lsass.exe is a process which is registered as a trojan. This Trojan allows attackers to access your computer from remote locations, stealing passwords, Internet banking and personal data. This process is a security risk and should be removed from your system.

Note: lsass.exe is registered as a downloader. This process usually comes bundled with a virus or spyware and its main role is to do nothing other than download other viruses/spyware to your computer. This process is a security risk and should be removed from your system.

Determining whether this process is a virus or a legitimate Windows process depends on the directory location it executes or runs from in WinTasks.
    Also you might want to check for Rootkits

Luck...
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

No, I have scanned for viruses and stuff already. There aren't any. I'm pretty sure its some kind of software problem since there are many people with similar problems and their errors are caused by software problems. I will appreciate any other advice.