Thread: First place to start in security

First place to start in security

When it comes to security and making sure that your system is operating at a moderately safe level where do you start - internally or externally? And with what major components?

Greeting's

Try with the OS itself. There are lot of tweaks depending on the OS you use. Then there should be your Firewall and AV and anyother software you use to protect your self.

I think AO's tuts are a good place to start.

Tell me which OS you use and ill get back with the links.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

My suggestion would be that you need to start "externally" as this will impact on the measures you might want to take.

So:

1. What is the "system" (hardware platform)............... mainframe, server, desktop, laptop?
    2. What is its physical security?......... who has access?
    3. Who should have access?
    4. What should they be allowed to do?
    5. And so on..................................

In other words, you define a basic "security model" (yes, I know that sounds a bit pompous, but it is the industry accepted phrase) and then devise your security measures to meet that model.

Strange though it may seem, this approach works from major corporations or entities right down to "how do I stop my kid brother from screwing up my PC with malware and pr0n"

"how do I stop my kid brother from screwing up my PC with malware and pr0n"
    Shoot the little bastard, I say. That's a security model we can ALL rely on =P

Of course, if you want my best advice to start securing your system, it's "stop using Windoze"... teehee.

... yeah, I use it too.

Pierce me with steel, rend me with claw and fang; as I die, a legend is born for another generation to follow.
    An\' it harm none, do as ye will. - Wiccan Rede

Also browser security is somewhat important... I think most people would agree to stay away from Internet Explorer... and use Mozilla Firefox www.mozilla.com and also download the 'NoScript' addon... https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/722/
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Let's not to forget spyware removal.

Pierce me with steel, rend me with claw and fang; as I die, a legend is born for another generation to follow.
    An\' it harm none, do as ye will. - Wiccan Rede