Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to hack - security

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    I always liked the terms white hat, grey hat & black hat. Made me think of that stupid little midget sourcerer from the old he-man cartoon.
    In case you forgot what he looked like
    I will have to agree with HT on this one though. The term "hacker" almost seems useless being that all types of various penetration methods (malicious, non-malicious) and the associated characteristics of the people who are implementing them, have expanded greatly.
    I try to use the term "cracker" to imply someone who is attempting to gain access to a system for malicious reasons but, most "everyday" people think I'm talking about something you put cheese on and serve as an appetizer. oh well.
    Speaking of cheese, I love the old "hacker" flicks where they fly around visually obnoxious mainframe databases that look more like disneyland than anything that resembles code, and viruses are depicted as little pac man monsters eating code.

By the way, if any of you are cheesy "hacker" movie producers, I can hit 100 random keys on my keyboard (accompanied with some fractal screen savers) and say "I'm in!".
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Originally posted here by ShagDevil
    By the way, if any of you are cheesy "hacker" movie producers, I can hit 100 random keys on my keyboard (accompanied with some fractal screen savers) and say "I'm in!".
    Yeah, but can you do it in a vinyl jacket while looking vapid?
    Information wants to be a fireman when it grows up.

AOs Resident Troll
    Yeah, but can you do it in a vinyl jacket while looking vapid?
    I can

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

in response to acidtones post about AO being hacked... I love the statements issued by JP/Antionline... it almost seems like they are challenging people to try to deface the site...
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Good link acidtone, I never knew all that had happened. Correct me if im wrong but I have been here since mid 03' and I dont think AO has been defaced since before that.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

AO Part Timer
    Don't think defacements take skill or talent.. usually they take a Bugtraq posting and a kid with too much time on their hands.
    I agree with this about 99% of the time. There have been some high profile defacements that actually required some time. Nothing like zero bugging if you are the zero bugger!!!

Knowledge, responsibility, and intent are all factors here.

It is far easier to destroy than it is to protect.

/2 cents
    Your heart was talking, not your mind.
    -Tiger Shark

Definitely my mistake there. Completely wrong terminology and wording. I wasn't even thinking about skiddies when I made that post, but 9 times out of 10 it was one of them who "hacked" that site. It's pretty ironic how the security site was probably done in by a 12 yr old who read the site's info, downloaded (Hack Kool L337 pack/ w working tr0j!) off Kazaa and basically went to work on the site.

Lol. I wasn't thinking. Excuse my last post PLEASE!!1
    Dont let a newb tell you how to do it, or should you?
    Signature image is too tall!

You are forgiven, but HT gets to touch your winkie.

And I would feel sorry for the individual that tried to go up against this site... very, very sorry.

You should check out JP's bio... I think only a fool would attack his site. Of course, many DO, but few who would be able to do anything at all, and those are simply dismissed... I don't know if he has it still, but there used to be a constantly-updating list of attacks on the site on the main page. T'was amusing.

Pierce me with steel, rend me with claw and fang; as I die, a legend is born for another generation to follow.
    An\' it harm none, do as ye will. - Wiccan Rede

Originally posted here by dopeydadwarf
    Knowledge, responsibility, and intent are all factors here.

It is far easier to destroy than it is to protect...
    I must agree with you here..because when you are protecting a system, you set all of the security, and you just wait...when you attack, you have the advantage, because once you find a vulnerability, its not like the person protecting the computer knows about it, becuse if they did, it wouldn't be there.

Anyway, to get back on track..How long does it usually take for a site like this to 'get back on its feet'?

I dont think anyone is AGAINST this site...and atleast I dont think that a site which is world famous for the secuirity experts in it will ever get defaced....I really dont challenge anyone or anything as such....just that I believe in AO...and you people maintaining it so well!

Thanks....
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein