My LINUX not online!!

Thread: My LINUX not online!!

My LINUX not online!!

OK so I tried getting help from every othe forum I could think of. I registered here and there on official and non official forums but on-one replied...someone even suggested me to stick to windows. Now this forum is the only place i think is left where I could ask this simple question:

HOW do I connect my MANDRIVA 2006 Linux to Internet using my SAMSUNG SGH c200?? I am using AirTel as my ISP ( INDIA ) and I know the target phone number and type. However the username and password are empty. So what do I do to connect the system to internet?? I am ready to change my Linux Distro to any other except UBUNTU ( due to regulkar failing of iontallation on different CDs).

Please help me out....there seems no way out for me from this problem. I live in a college hostel where I can't put up wires...so only a GPRS modem can be used for me....no regular modem. Kindly help me.

~Jockey
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

Just Another Geek
    Have you ever used windows to connect to the internet using GPRS? How was that setup?

How's the phone connected to your computer? USB? Serial? Bluetooth perhaps?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

is it a laptop?

if it is take the thing to the showroom, and they will connect it for you.

i remember i was in mumbai, back in 2004. tried everything which the manual said, but still no net. took it to the showroom. they had some extra setup files. walked out with the net working.

was having some server address problem.

check:
    1) what server address you have to input in the phone.
    2) what number the phone is supposed to call.
    3) is the modem settings on the phone enabled

cheers
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

Also check for the specific drivers for the modem on its official site especially for linux. The generic ones may not work properly.

My friends use Airtel (i think they call it TouchTel) as their ISP on their SUSE Linux 10.0. Personally speaking i've tried it and its great. Its stable and works just fine.

Answering the above stated questions will help us to give some specific answer.
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

Ok So here are my answers to your questions (Some might even be repeated...please bear them..I retypr them to provide them at one place in a systemised manner) :

1. Phone : SAMSUNG SGH C200
    2. Connectivity : USB cable ( it doesnt support IR or BlueTooth ).
    3. Status : GPRS activated, Settings preset in the phone. Working Correctly on Windows ( i visit AO from home)

-------- FOLLOWING ARE THE DETAILS MY GPRS DIALER SHOWS -------------
    4. Country = INDIA | Service Provider : AirTel
    5. APN name: Airtelgprs.com
    6. Phone Number : *99**1*1# [I assume this is the target number my phone calls to connect to net]
    7. USERNAME : [EMPTY] (yes...it is empty...they recognize user by phone number)
    8. PASSWORD : [EMPTY]
    9. In the Modem properties shown by the GPRS dialer , I see the following settings :
    IP Address : Obtain an IP address Automatically.
    DNS : Obtain DNS server address automatically.

------------------------MORE INFO is below--------------------
    10. Computer : Compaq Presario SR 1330 IL (DESKTOP)
    11. OS : Linux= Mandriva Linux 2006 ( I can install another to get connected to net by TUX...I would favour SuSE 10.1...if it supports) Currently Using Windows XP Pro SP2
    --------------------------------------------

@Mystry Man : I found no Drivers for Linux...on requesting through Mail, I was said that Linux is not supported!!! ( As I expected ). And hey Mystry Man...could you please ask your friends in detail how they got their machine connected to net on SuSE 10.0? I have SuSE 10.1 CDs with me and I think I will install them if they work fine!!

Hope that helps you people find more specific answer to my query.

Thanks.

- Albert Einstein

I have instaled UBUNTU in 4 hours!!! HUH!! I tried and my installation of SuSE failed for no apparent reason after inbstalling it in 1.5 hours. FC 5 failed due to inavailability of a PRIMARY partition. I hated vector linuz and Gnome CDs were corrupted. I had even to refix the MBR for gettin my windows working again!!!

So now I have got the UBUNTU , every other person recommended it coz it supports a LOOOONNNNG list of hardware. ( I cant see my phone dtected BTW!!! ). So now please tell me how to do the rest of work ..... to make UBUNTU identify my PHONE as MODEM.

Thanks.

- Albert Einstein

Just out of curiosity,

Does any disro recognise that the phone is connected.......like for VoIP, synchronising address books etc. ?

Well no one recognized it!! But after searching on google for a pretty nice amount of time, what I get from various forums points that it RECOGNIZES. I don't know whether the devices need to be set up in termial or so!! I am not a geek in Linux...but I teired to find out commands in the manual pages...I saw nothing related to such stuff. The only problem is now making UBUNTU idetify that a device is connected to that port and that it is able to recognize it. Thats it!! I know the rest of the part... The default dialer Wvdial in UBUNTU is pretty easy to be confiured. So I think if somehow the tux recognizes the phone, I am done! So my only question that remains to the AO side is HOW do i make UBUNTU recognize that phone.

- Albert Einstein