Thread: File System

Question File System

I was reading an article on NTFS...... on http://digisec.50webs.com/Articles/ntfs.html

Well guys a question arised in my mind

Why do we need File Systems?? I mean why do we need different types of file systems??

Can't we work with one file system on all OS?? Why do we have different file system for CDs???

I want posts from jockey on this topic.

AOs Resident Troll
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_system

Has everything you need to know...

and more

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Think of it as a file cabnet. It keeps the system and its files organized. Different file systems have different ways of organizing your files.
    Well...its not gonna get much better than linux!

Ok so you need my comments??? I will start in a bit diffferent manner. Try to uderstand what I tell. Seniors will give you more info and in detail on the topic. However since you have requested this from me, I am posting this:

You might be using a particular language in your home, with your friends and other people around you. Lets dvidide them into communties by language. Here I assume you speak english. NOw there will be communities which speak "English", "Hindi", "French", "german" and "russian". Now say you understand English and Hindi ( i dunno if know hindi exactly...just an assumption). If I ask you something like "Why don't each and every person on earth speak english? And why should a person require language to communicate?? this question will be much like you asked. Just replace the file system by "language" communities by "operating systems".

File systems are the WAY OF ORGANISING FILES such that the operating system for which actually it is made, understands the files and does the job well and in better manner than others. Say your native language is Hindi but you understand english too. But in most cases you will be able to express yourself and hanlde others speaking Hindi much better than those who speak English. So this is pretty much like "An OS will work well with a file system it understand but will work much better when using its native file system."...just like Windows Xp will be more secure and crash less when run upon NTFS rather than when using FAT32.

NOw say there is a person who is FRENCH originally but can understand ENGLISH , HINDI and GERMAN as well but can't speak the secondary languages. You can take it as Linux OS coz in most cases Liux will be able to understand FAT32 and NTFS as well but will work only with its own FS like ext2, ext3, JFS or ReiserFS.

Can't we work with one file system on all OS??
    Yes we can... but it will not work. Say you choose NTFS to work on all OS, MS will now allow that because it is its propreity format. Say you choose FAT32. But it will also not work bacause most systems are designed these days to handle files more securely and retrive them in case of system crashes. Now since all OSes are degined in different way and handle files with different parameters which define their "concept of security", they all will need the files to be in THEIR suitable format. This is why, every other OS seems to have its OWN file system.

Now the last question : Why do we have different file system for CDs.

CDs are meant for two purposes : Data Backup and Removable media which can ultimately be chared accross systems. Since using a file system which is particluar to One OS will restrict their usage to one Operating System only, CDs HAVE TO USE a different File system which is not as secure in itself as other forats due to the Data modification rstrictions which are applied on the CDs.

I have given a general defiition of file systems. The wikipedia link will tell you things in more detail about various ( and more than VARIOUS) types of filesystems and the details about them. Hope that helps.
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

Hey jockey0109 your example were awesome. I really got something new on FS.

Hey morganlefay Your link was really good I enjoyed reading it

OK rock_bill look at it this way:

If I have a pencil and a sheet of paper it doesn't matter where I am, or what language I am writing in?............ my "file system" is the same?........... it has been like that for centuries.

Computers are a much more modern technology that has advanced very rapidly............ this has resulted in different file systems to suit different hardware and software scenarios........ compounded by the passage of time.

Going back to my original analogy, if all I have to write with is a hammer and chisel, a sheet of paper would not be the best medium?.......... I would need a different "file system"

nihil.... your way of expressing that extra point was mind blowing....really...I never thought about file systems that way!!! Thanks...I think you will surely help us guys with your long experience and a different perspective where a DIFFERNT perspective seems to be of a greater use to me....just coz...experiences won't help...they have to be acculmulated by me myself...

PEACE
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein