Thread: POP Failure in Gmail account??

POP Failure in Gmail account??

Hi,

It was just this morning that I opened my THUNDERBIRD and it asked my gmail password as Usual. I entered it and after 2 seconds I was told that I had entered a wrong password!! I ried it twice and then with othe email clients like outlook, opera eudora etc. Every other email client said the same thing that my password was wrong!!! I ckecked settings...they were all correct!!

I decided to log into the gmail account from the Browser ( firefox 1.5.0.5) and to my surprise I was told that my password was wrong!! I was afraid of my account being hacked!! I use a storng password ... even then thinking that it might have been reset by someone using an Input validation attack, I opted for the "cannot access my account" link and gmail sent me my reset link on my alternate address! Now I tried logging in and still got the same problem!!

I really didnt believ my eyes!! How can it say that the password was wrong! I had reste it just 12 seconds ago!! ANyway in frustration I again tried resetting and after resetting this time, I luckily got access to my mails in my browser.

But my email clients are still complaining that I have entered a wrong password!! Both thunderbird and opera! I tried logging in to the gmail on HTTP ( browser) twice and I succeeded both times ( after resetting my password twice). But I am still unable to access my mails in the mail clients!!

Please do not advice me the follwing things....I have done that many times with utmost care and attention:

1. Entering the password correctly.
    2. Checking POP and SMTP settings with correct authentication and port numbers.
    3. Clearnign cache of browser.
    4. Using all the measures tht can be taken in a normal desktop environment: antivirus, antispyware and firewall with strict rules.

Also I am not a part of a network but am connected to my ISP directly through my mobile. How is all possible??

Also I must say that this problem is occuring for only 1 account. I have 3 gmail accounts for different purposes and 2 of them are working fine and as-usual. What has gone wrong with my first account??

I have reported the problem to the google help team. But how can this happen?? What would have been wrong on either sides.

I just need comments on this topic. (Suggestions for solving this problem are most welcome).

Thanks.
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

- Albert Einstein

Banned
    Have you checked that email forwarding thingy in gmail settings has been activated, as they usually revert back to the default settings when a password reset has been done.

cheers
    acidtone..

Well I have checked them and I have changed my settings twice to make sure they were correct and I still do Not get it. I am able to get the mail on my Browser but not on my mail clients and all this happened just this night while I was sleeping!!! I had downloaded and relied to mails just last evening and everything was working fine!! How can all this happen in a night???

ANY ONE WITH A PROPER REASON PLEASE???

I am having really a lot of trouble maintinaing mails through web!!!

- Albert Einstein

Originally posted here by jockey0109
    Well I have checked them and I have changed my settings twice to make sure they were correct and I still do Not get it. I am able to get the mail on my Browser but not on my mail clients and all this happened just this night while I was sleeping!!! I had downloaded and relied to mails just last evening and everything was working fine!! How can all this happen in a night???

ANY ONE WITH A PROPER REASON PLEASE???

I am having really a lot of trouble maintinaing mails through web!!!

And this has what to do with network security? Wouldn't you be better asking this kind of question on google? I'm sure they have forums specifically for gmail.

I guess this thing happened after you changed your password.

Try changing the password of the rest 2 accounts which are working fine. See if it happens to them too.
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

Well Thanks for your replies, Gmail Customer care response team sent me a LLLOOOOONNNNNNGGG mail with a list of help resources from their website and asked me to go through them. At the last they attached a list of questions like giving screenshots of the settings in email clients and OS configuration, antivirus / firewall policies etc...

I went though the links first and in one of them, I got my answer...they gave another link in their article on the web ( help site) which asked me to enter my gmail address, password and a confirmation string (which was displayed in a picture). I did it and after sometime the browser said : CAPTCHA unlocked.

I know what is captcha...it is the same method of entering a string in regitration boxes which confirms that you are a human! Now after that my mail clients have started working all fine!!! OK So I ask you another question.

Even though my problem got solved, there are still 2 questions remaining:

1. How did my password got reset? Was it a possible outcome of probably an Input Validation attck? ( I think thats tough for gmail using loooong addresses for emails on browser).

2. What the hell a captcha has to do with an email client??? And that too when it doenst ask me to enter a code by looking at an image anytime??

Please try to answer the above quetion...I think it must be interseting to most of the senior members here.

Thanks.

- Albert Einstein

An attempt was made to login to a blocked account. The server prevents unauthorized account access by detecting suspicious login attempts. For example, an account typically becomes blocked after too many attempts to login with the incorrect password. To unblock an account that you access programmatically, you'll need to manually go to the following URL in a browser:
    http://www.google.com/accounts/displayunlockcaptcha

Sounds like attempts were made to login to your account and they were wrong so the server blocked the account from being accessed...

Any more questions about Gmail, you should post them here: Google Groups
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Thanks dalek, I was afraid if someone had come to know either my password or there was a vulnerability lying in the gmail system....I remember there was input validation vulnerability detected twice!

ANyway, from where did you get that info?? From the help site itself???

- Albert Einstein

I took a few moments and looked through the Google Forum link that was provided and I see many other complaints relating to changed passwords. So for some reason or another google changed your password and locked your account. I think it would be more likely that a drunken midget stumbled out of your closet at 3 am and was using your account to send spam than you be the victim of any attack. I believe that your account triggered googles system into locking your account for some reason.

Hmmm... I agree...I too went through some of them ( not much) and there were so many problems there with passwords...anyway I am happy somehow I got my account unlocked....HUH! I also changed my password to a very password. Anyway thanks you all...I hope this thread is closed now!

- Albert Einstein