** Urgent ** Help Required

Thread: ** Urgent ** Help Required

StOrM™

** Urgent ** Help Required

Greeting's

I'm sorry for dual post (other one is in ADDICTS). But I need help and fast. I;ve a Dell dimension desktop. Model number is 8300

Today after I started the computer and after about 20 minutes of uptime.. The computer Fan went crazy. Its gone totally mad.. Its spins so fast that it feels as a F-18 just took off or sometime it goes totally quite. Then suddenly its zoooms to full speed and again down. Its like raising your bike on the red lite just before you are going to give it all..

I'm seriously worried about this behaviour... like I said it goes to full speed and then just comes back to normal and goes back again.. I HAVE NOT INSTALLED OR UNINSTALLED anything recently..

Since its a Dell system I was looking for a software called Dell Diagnostics.. It lists this problem and checks for it..

Guy's Ill be logging back after half an hour or so.. I dont want the sytem running for long time intervals..

Really worried
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

hey Byte!

Which fan are you talking about? the CPU Fan? or the Case Cooling Fan?

If CPU Fan, please shut down the pc (or you'll end up with a toasted processor), open the box and see if any wire is getting in between the fan blades and hindering it's spinning.

Check the connection of the fan to the motherboard. Maybe it is connected to a socket it was not meant for.

This goes for the case cooling fan as well. If the fan has got ball-bearings, is there a squealing?

If yes, the fan's rotation system is going bust soon.

I don't think the software installs/uninstalls have to do with the fan behaviour, unless is the CPU is loaded during those and there is not proper cooling to it.

Do you monitor any sudden spikes in the cpu temperature, the case internal temperature?

Do you have a temperature monitoring utility like

speedfan ?

dell diagnostics primer

Check warranty (void, if you open the box instead of support guy) before you open the box.

all the best!
    Hindsight is an exact science.
    MudBubble

StOrM™
    Greeting's

Its the MAIN fan... I'm not at all sure of this but there is no other fan in the system... My friend once said this this fan is called a blower... there are small shafts that are there which blow the air from this fan in different section over the PC... Like the processor.. I'm not sure if this is true.. But be with me guys.. I'm not at all good in hardware..

Also I contacted a friend of mine he says if your processor is near overheating then the computer will automatically be shut down with a warning.

Also chirza the link you gave give's no DOWNLOAD link.. I need to download and run it..
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

reeelax

hey byte!

I assume the main fan as the CPU fan. Shut down!! and do the check as per my first post.

There are supposed to be atleast two fans, one vertically installed on the CPU and mostly u won't be able to see it in a closed boxed.

The other fan, the air circulator is on the back of the box, visible to you and below the power supply

Do you have Nvidia Forceware installed? It also has a temp monitoring utility.

You need to watch two kinda temps.

Ambient Temperature-The overall system temp inside the box...the air inside the box.

The CPU temp-Very critical indicator. The temp should be around 52-55 Degs for a idol system.

CPU temp would be always greater than Ambient Temperature.

another link for speedfan softpedia

hmm?
    Hindsight is an exact science.
    MudBubble

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    Will this help...

http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/manual30/index.html
    Dell Inspiron 8x00 fan control - Manual

Good Day,

On EG's link, in the Main Window, note the "Enable Fan Forcing to High Speed" option under "Automatic Fan Control".

That might not be a fan on the brink of destruction, but rather an automatic setting attempting to cool the critter down.

cheers

edit:

Several months ago, I did work on a similar Dell dimension desktop as you mentioned. It had only one fan with an interesting ducting system and fan speed control. It was effective.
    Connection refused, try again later.

Hi Byte~ ,

That is your processor fan...............get a new one!

Whilst you are at it, you might look at adding an exhaust fan as well. They take up what would be a PCI slot, and get rid of a lot of stale air. I always put one in Dells that I work on

I am 99% certain that you have a hardware problem there old chap!