reinstall IE6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reinstall IE6

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

reinstall IE6

hi, mods feel free to move this if u need too. here is the deal: I need to reinstall IE6 ( i use FF mostly but still IE some) i Googled it and it said to put in my XP pro cd and some command in the cmd. Well I did upgrade to SP2 but Sp2 isnt on the XP cd that I have. the IE uninstall/reinstall wont work unless SP2 is physically on the XP Cd. so how do I get SP2 on my cd to reinstall IE 6? I cant seem to get it on MS Updates since that is how I got it the first time and I dont really wanna order it on cd. btw, I also need movie maker ( it got uninstalled) but its the same deal they tell me to get it from MS updates but its not in the list since I downloaded it previously. thanx for the help.

edit/ I tried to run the sfc /scannow cmd but it wouldnt work because it requested that my XP cd have SP2 on it which it doesnt.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

" And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Iknownot, your first link I tried but like I said when i tried to run the sfc cmd it wouldnt let me because my XP cd only has SP1 loaded on it. and when I tried your 2nd link I read this message: DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download is now available on Windows Update. Now that brings me to my problem, when I go to windows updates SP2 isnt available for download since I already downloaded it previously. Now I know I could get them to mail me a CD of SP2 but I dont want to pay for it.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

windows sevice pack 2

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/xpsp2.html

download and install offline
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

Now I have run across another problem, even though I downloaded SP2 to my desktop ( thanx bagggi) I cant put it on my windows XP cd since its not a writable cd, and I cant run the sfc cmd unless I have an SP2 cd.. I guess im just screwed and im gonna have to order an SP2 cd. all I wanted to do was uninstall/reinstall IE 6! lol sooo complicated!
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Hey Hey,

I didn't read all the links... because well... I'm lazy and it's late and I'm tired and want to go to bed but I want to get through the recent posts first..

Anyways... A few ways I've done it.

Go to Microsoft and download the latest installer -- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...s/default.mspx

or

Start --> Run --> type ' inf ' --> OK. Find ie.inf, right click... click install (I may be a little off on names as I don't have XP handy atm but that should be pretty damn close.

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

tex,

you will be able to get both IE 6(also IE 7 beta) and windows movie maker from

www.download.com.

just type in the search box and download

movie maker doesnt come with xp home. i installed it from there once
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

ok, im gonna hit this point by point.
    1. I got Movie Maker, thanx bagggi

2. I tried HT's inf command and I got an error message which is the same error message I got when I tried the sfc cmd. ( screenshot attached) the error msg is basically saying I dont have SP2 on my windows xp pro cd so it wont let me proceed.

3. I have tried to uninstall IE6 in everyway I know how. I Googled it and MS doesnt list a way to uninstall IE 6 on XP pro to my knowledge, the reason I want to uninstall it is cuz I was able to download a fresh new copy and I want to install that but everytime I try it says " A newer version of IE is already installed!

Basically at this point im assuming this. I cant uninstall/reinstall IE 6 because my XP Cd doesnt have SP2 loaded on it. I have downloaded SP2 but I have no way of getting it on the CD. and Its basically a chicken vs egg thing. damn them. any other ideas?

SCREENSHOT
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Ive had a similar problem before...just go into add/remove programs, then go to the add/remove windows components. Then you just unclick Internet explorer, and then the next button, and that should do it.

Then you can use the download.com version to install.

Metguru, I have tried your suggestion and even when I uncheck the option it still stays installed. I also tried to physically uninstall it directly from my HDD but it says there is files in use and it keeps read protecting the file so I cant uninstall it even if I uncheck the read only protection
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted