Mitnick = pwned

Thread: Mitnick = pwned

Banned

Wink Mitnick = pwned

Kevin Mitnick Web site hacked

Instead of the usual description of Kevin Mitnick, his consulting services and books, the famed hacker's Web site on Sunday displayed a vulgar message.

Online vandals, apparently operating from Pakistan, broke into the computer hosting Mitnick's Web site on Sunday and replaced his front page with one of their own. As a result, four Web addresses belonging to Mitnick, including KevinMitnick.com and MitnickSecurity.com, displayed an explicit message on Mitnick and hacking.

"The Web hosting provider that hosts my sites was hacked," Mitnick told CNET News.com in an interview Monday. "Fortunately, I don't keep any confidential data on my Web site, so it wasn't that serious. Of course it is embarrassing to be defaced--nobody likes it."

Mitnick's name is synonymous with "notorious hacker" for many. He was caught by the FBI in 1995 after a well-publicized pursuit and spent five years behind bars for wire and computer fraud. Today he is a consultant, has written two books, and spends much of his time on the road at speaking engagements.

Mitnick heard out about the defacement on Sunday afternoon, shortly after the initial compromise, he said. The attackers gained complete control over the server that hosts his site as well as others at hosting provider Hostedhere, Mitnick said. It is common that hosting companies store multiple customers' Web sites on one server.

"The attackers from Pakistan took over that whole box. There were a whole bunch of customers, including myself, but my site was the only one defaced, so I was probably the target," Mitnick said. The server was taken offline to be reinstalled, Mitnick said. The Web site was still offline as of late Monday afternoon Pacific Time.

Web site defacements still occur often, but they have become less high profile in recent years as other, financially motivated threats take the spotlight.

The message placed on Mitnick's Web site started with: "ZMOG!! THE MITNICK GOTZ OWNED!!" and continues with expletives and a picture of Mitnick with some modifications. Security Web site Zone-H first reported the hack on Monday and has screenshots of the replaced Web pages.

Defacing Web sites is akin to graffiti in the brick-and-mortar world. "It is kind of stupid, they do it for the attention," Mitnick said. "When I was a hacker, I never stooped to defacing sites because that was more like vandalism, that wasn't any fun. It is more about getting in and being stealth and looking around and exploring."

So far, Mitnick doesn't know how the server containing his Web site was compromised. He plans to investigate that at a later time. It could be that a security flaw on one of the other Web sites that was hosted on the same server gave the attackers a way into Mitnick's portion of the machine, he said.

Hostedhere, Mitnick's hosting provider located in Greenville, S.C., did not immediately respond to an e-mail seeking comment. "They do a good job. I don't think they’re insecure," Mitnick said, adding that he would switch Web hosting providers only if his site was hacked continuously.

This isn't the first time that a Mitnick Web site has been defaced. Three years ago a site set up by Mitnick's supporters was repeatedly hacked. Mitnick did not operate those sites, he was not allowed to use computers at that time as part of the terms of his supervised release, he said.
    Original Article

defacement Mirrors:
    DefensiveThinking.com
    Mitsec.com
    KevinMitnick.com
    MitnickSecurity.com

Banned
    totally PWNED!!!

his hacking days are over....

Uhm, I first saw this thread a few days ago.. and my reaction to it is the same as it is right now (with no offense to acidtone): Who cares. IIRC, it isn't the first time.. probably won't be the last, and it bears no real meaning anyways.. his days are over and he wasn't even that great at what he did.. Afterall, he was caught.. no?

I rest my argument. =]
    Space For Rent.. =]

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    I guess to echo Spyder, the best ones are the ones you dont know about...
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

It's just funny..
    So I kinda have to agree with banned boy ^^ upthere ..

On the other hand .. indeed who cares.. It's a lame defacement.. and kinda funny..
    The only thing that would make this even funnier would be if someone Social Egineered his way into that server..
    I don't think he runs his own site / admins that server..
    But if this hack was done via SE and not some forgotten unchecked variable... I'd really like that.

Anywho.. back to my beer..

/me wanders off to the fridge
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    He doesn't run the site (a seperate private company does -- they should be more sensitive to this regardless of their clientale but probably more aware given his "reputation"). And this is the 2nd time that this has happened then. I do recall this happening a few years ago when he first started the site up, IIRC.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

T3h Ch3F

Noble

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    He doesn't run the site (a seperate private company does -- they should be more sensitive to this regardless of their clientale but probably more aware given his "reputation"). And this is the 2nd time that this has happened then. I do recall this happening a few years ago when he first started the site up, IIRC.

I agree with MM. on this one, and I respect the fact that KM. stood by his host in this case.

"They do a good job. I don't think they're insecure," Mitnick said, adding that he would switch Web hosting providers only if his site gets hacked continuously." Perhaps an indirect warning to his host, but at least he did not cop out and blame them. One can only imagine the amount of intrusion attempts logged every hour against his site(s).

As for C47:

Mafaukhim! This was his PM regarding my Negs.

"k05 0m4ck

dall4y

arrogant ppl like you should've been in the WTC......"

Ya sure d00d.

Get some good religion from Bad Religion.