Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the...? Pluto no longer a planet!

What the...? Pluto no longer a planet!

Amazing:

[glowpurple]Pluto gets the boot[/glowpurple]
    Pluto no longer a planet, say astronomers

PRAGUE, Czech Republic (AP) -- Leading astronomers declared Thursday that Pluto is no longer a planet under historic new guidelines that downsize the solar system from nine planets to eight.
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/0....ap/index.html

That's what happens when you don't pay your galaxian dues - you forfeit your membership!

You may want to run out and buy a few galaxy models or mobiles now - as they are now collector's items!
    \"We\'re the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We\'ve all been raised by television to believe that one day we\'ll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won\'t. And we\'re learning slowly that fact. And we\'re very, very pissed off.\" - Tyler (Brad Pitt) Fight Club.

Thanks for the article. I wonder what the Plutonians think about this!

Here we are restricted to our own domain because we can't even overcome speed, time, and distance variables; however little "ugly bags of mostly water" (Old Star Trek Movie) are sitting around sipping on their Starbuck's, reclassifying the universe...lol

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Pluto has been a debated object since the 80. But since we have all seen it as a planet for so long, I say let the romantic side of it bear out and keep it that way. But "technically" it's not a planet.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    I almost failed a science quiz because I forgot to include Pluto as a planet. Now they're telling me it was never a planet? I went through all kinds of mental anxiety from almost failing that quiz.
    That's the last straw. I plan on suing my old elementary school and Pluto.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

I'm amazed that they are spending all that money to get them together just to call it a "minor planet" or "dwarf planet". I must assume that these are some of the most brilliant minds on this real planet. Why not spend the time and effort on our own global issues. Things they really matter. But, I guess it's much easier to reclassify a planet than it is to clean up our own house.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

The important question is what is this going to do to "My Very Educated Mother Just Sent Us Nine Pizzas"? How are kids going to remember this now? Leaving the Pizzas off the end just doesn't cut it!
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Debs, your future son is gonna be saying " My very Educated Mother Just Sent Us Nine ____ nine what mom? what did you send me?!" damn those scientist who screwed it all up when I was in the womb!
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Be ready for textbooks to be massively re-written.

poor pluto, the retarded cousin of mercury.
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool - Good Ole Bill Shakespeare

Actually er0k

Be ready for textbooks to be massively re-written.
    Isn't this what they seem to have carefully avoided? IIRC there was an argument that if an object had sufficient gravity to form a globular shape, then it was potentially a planet or a moon, depending on its orbit.

The main objection to Pluto was its weird orbit?

There was talk of having to add several "planets" so they took the soft option and just demoted one