Thread: dvd not working

dvd not working

hi,
    have a little problem with friend pioneer dvd rw dvr110d which sudenly decided not to work any more.when i go to hardware manager itshows it under dvd/cd_rom drives but has little yellow mark next to it indicating something is worng with it.When i click for general info this message comes up:
    Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41).
    I have tried all cables and to uninstall it and instal it back but nothing is hapening.still this message comes up.
    What is your sugestion??
    thanks

Just Another Geek
    Check if the BIOS can see the drive.. Check master/slave settings.. Check cables/power.. If these fail the drive probably needs replacing..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Well there are three possibilities that come to mind:

1. The drive is knackered and you need a new one. Please test it in another machine to make sure that it doesn't work first. Check these other two first, as they are less work.

2. You have installed/uninstalled Roxio software:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;314060

3. Windows has lost the plot and that is not a PnP device.

If you just uninstalled and reinstalled the device in this situation, it won't work. You need to uninstall the DRIVERS as well.......... then reinstall them both together. That way Windows won't just find the driver................

hi sir,
    i have put my liteon dvd writer and bios recognizes it but its same thing it doesnt work shows same message.
    as it is recognized and writen in device manager that means bios is ok.
    checked master /slave setting ok.i put new cable which is ok same problem.Power is working cos i can see light on dvd writer.
    hmm interesting little yellow thing is still there.
    any other sugestions?
    thanks

Just Another Geek
    Try to remove the drive from the devicemanager and reboot.. See if that helps..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Yes,

You tried a known working drive and got the same message. That was similar to my suggestion of testing the pioneer in a known working computer

So, it is either #2 or #3. If you have not messed with Roxio software before this happened, you can also eliminate #2.

That leaves #3..................... you MUST uninstall the drivers AND the device and reinstall them together. If you leave the drivers, Windows will load them but not be able to match them to a hardware device?..............

ok will do some work with uninstalling the lot.
    its little bit hard to install any drivers when its onlz floopy left working
    will post the results
    thnks

ok results are here:
    had to follow nihil link to microsoft sugestions as nothing else worked.
    Had to go to registry and delete upper and lower filters for cd players and that solved the problem after rebooting.
    Thanks.Everyone interested to follow it please click nihil microsoft support link from above.
    Thanks