Thread: Block BHO

Question Block BHO

Hi there,

does anyone know of a program that will block 'any' BHO from installing or at least prompt
    and ask first.

I use WinPatrol but the 'realtime' detection of this program is VERY slow.

THankyou for all tips.

Greeting's

You can download SpywareGuard which will warn you if a new BHO is installed.. It is more advisable to uncheck the option that allows 3rd party BHO's to be installed in IE..

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/downloads.html
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

To add to ByTeWrangler's suggestion, you can also use Spywareblaster works for IE and Firefox..
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

I have tried Spyware Blaster. It is mainly good for blocking or detecting it's known spyware.

More specifically I need to be able to block/or at least be alerted to, any modification of
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions or the normal BHO installation
    registry key, so that third-party software cannot be installed in either location.

I have disabled the usual 'Enable third-party browser extensions' option in IE. but I think that just works at the 'Browser Helper Objects' level, because third party extensions can still install at the above mentioned registry key.

Thankyou for all help so far provided.

Hmmmm,

Try: http://winpooch.free.fr/page/home.php?lang=en&page=home

It is an open source project. I am just experimenting with it myself so I cannot say much more than it is VERY SENSITIVE ................. it phones home for some reason (probably to update) and has a truly horrendous splash screen when it loads

Also get Spybot Search & Destroy............... set it to "advanced mode" and use the immunisation and blocking features. It also has some nice "tools" to let you see what is on your box. Allow "teatimer" to run interactively as well.

If you are really paranoid, you will just love that combination............. try to update something and watch the pair of them going ballistic.

Seriously, Winpooch seems to be very sensitive and very fast............it generally wins with SpyBot and RegistryProt coming about equal second and WinPatrol third. What I have noticed is that Winpooch seems to notice more changes than the others.

Like I said, I am still evaluating it.

This behavior can be controlled in your browser configuration.

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/helpcentral..._scripting.php
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Nice link rcgreen,

I have mine set to "prompt" so that I can decide if I trust the site then OK otherwise "no"

Another approach is to get Firefox and download the "script blocker" plug in. If sites don't work I decide if I give them temporary/permanent permission or just blow them away.

I have removed ALL permissions from
    HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Extensions

so now nothing can be installed there behind my back.

Thankyou for all tips though.

Just Another Geek
    Simplest solution is to remove the adminstrative powers from the useraccount.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.