Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AntiViews?

Originally posted here by Galdron
    I don't think that the Mods. should be responsable for content. I do however think that the "Owners" of the site should contribute to "their" site instead of just silently collecting banner-ad revenue. [/B]

Give an example of what you'd like to see contributed or changed... I'm sure they'll read it and see it.
    How about they actually go and pay some people to write some original content similiar to what security focus does. This way we actually have security related threads instead of "how do I fix my pop3 client." Even if you don't agree with what the people are writing that type of original content draws in readers.

There is very little, if any original content on this site... I would say that 90% of the tutorials, that are supposed to be original content, are simple high level overviews or re-hashes of other peoples work. We have several talented technical writers on this board so why doesn't jupmedia throw those people a few hundred bucks, whatever the standard freelance rate is for technical articles, and get some original content back on the site. I think that is what Galdron means about autopilot. I think a simple investment in generating quality articles could go a long way in also generating quality posts.

Nothing is being done to draw in new members and nothing is being done to keep the senior members with a great deal of security knowledge around.

No offense, but I don't think profiles about other members is really what is going to draw in a serious security minded crowd. If I'm working 60 hour weeks doing corporate security I don't have time to read about somebody elses life. If you had original pieces doing in depth reviews and comparisons of new products I would have time to read that. This is definitely not the responsibility of the moderators though.

mohaughn:

This site is a forum, Security Focus is a news site.. There's a big difference.. Jupiter Media has their news site, it's EnterpriseITPlanet.com.

As for the tech support type questions vs a serious security site, I've fought that many times. The administration really can't do much about that... the members have to... That's why you have AntiPoints. As long as members support the tech support questions they'll exist. If a stupid question is asked by a new member and they get negged for it bceause it's "stupid"... a group of seniors turn around and give the person greenies, which sends the message posting this stuff is ok. As far as I'm concerned it's up to the members to at least partally decide the path of this site and it's the members that have kept it from being more of a security site.

However, if you think that'll work... here you go... I've taken two of my recent blog postings and put them as threads.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=276375
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=276376

Peace,
    HT

Originally posted here by HTRegz
    mohaughn:

This site is a forum, Security Focus is a news site.. There's a big difference.. Jupiter Media has their news site, it's EnterpriseITPlanet.com.

As for the tech support type questions vs a serious security site, I've fought that many times. The administration really can't do much about that... the members have to... That's why you have AntiPoints. As long as members support the tech support questions they'll exist. If a stupid question is asked by a new member and they get negged for it bceause it's "stupid"... a group of seniors turn around and give the person greenies, which sends the message posting this stuff is ok. As far as I'm concerned it's up to the members to at least partally decide the path of this site and it's the members that have kept it from being more of a security site.

However, if you think that'll work... here you go... I've taken two of my recent blog postings and put them as threads.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=276375
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=276376

Peace,
    HT
    This site is only a forum because that is all that is here. If you want new traffic or more traffic you have to offer more than just a forum or blog postings. You asked for an example of what Gladron meant and I provided that. It is pretty obvious that jupmedia puts more time and energy into enterpriseitplanet than they do with this site. Which is what Galdron was complaining about.

Originally posted here by mohaughn
    This site is only a forum because that is all that is here. If you want new traffic or more traffic you have to offer more than just a forum or blog postings. You asked for an example of what Gladron meant and I provided that. It is pretty obvious that jupmedia puts more time and energy into enterpriseitplanet than they do with this site. Which is what Galdron was complaining about.
    I would say this site is a forum because that's what it's always been..and I'm sure that's why JupM bought it. To add a security forum to their growing conglomerate. I'm curious as to why you think they put more time and energy into EITP.... Because it has articles on it... It's a news site... so it's regularly updated with news.. Why would they turn this into a second news site? It seems counter-productive to compete with yourself Google owns blogger.com, should they also turn around and start another blogging site? That wouldn't seem overly uesful.

EITP has regular article postings because it's a news site..
    AO is a forum... it's up to the members to drive a forum... So far the only suggestion I've seen recently from members is to turn AO into a news site (your suggestion), which I think would destroy it... and start up Anti-Views again.. which now Neg and myself have both asked for interviewee suggestions for... you still haven't given any..

I would say this site is a forum because that's what it's always been..and I'm sure that's why JupM bought it. To add a security forum to their growing conglomerate. I'm curious as to why you think they put more time and energy into EITP.... Because it has articles on it... It's a news site... so it's regularly updated with news.. Why would they turn this into a second news site? It seems counter-productive to compete with yourself Google owns blogger.com, should they also turn around and start another blogging site? That wouldn't seem overly uesful.

EITP has regular article postings because it's a news site..
    AO is a forum... it's up to the members to drive a forum... So far the only suggestion I've seen recently from members is to turn AO into a news site (your suggestion), which I think would destroy it... and start up Anti-Views again.. which now Neg and myself have both asked for interviewee suggestions for... you still haven't given any..
    I never said make it a news site.. I said put some original content on here like product reviews or weekly editorials concerning the security industry. That is what I use security focus for. Security focus does have the usual assortment of news feeds, but they also have original content that is more than just news. You can have original content that is not news.

And I already told you. I never read any of the antiviews and I don't have time to read them. If I want to know more about a particular user on here I will contact them and strike up a conversation. You asked for suggestions and I provided. I can't help it that you don't think there is value in my suggestion. I did after all say that this wasn't up to the moderators.

Originally posted here by mohaughn
    I never said make it a news site.. I said put some original content on here like product reviews or weekly editorials concerning the security industry. That is what I use security focus for. Security focus does have the usual assortment of news feeds, but they also have original content that is more than just news. You can have original content that is not news.

And I already told you. I never read any of the antiviews and I don't have time to read them. If I want to know more about a particular user on here I will contact them and strike up a conversation. You asked for suggestions and I provided. I can't help it that you don't think there is value in my suggestion. I did after all say that this wasn't up to the moderators.
    Fair enough on the Anti-Views and it's not up to the moderators... but I'm looking at your suggestion still and all I'm seeing a a description of EITP... The main page has both features and news

Perhaps what you'd like to see is the two pages tied more closely together?

Fair enough on the Anti-Views and it's not up to the moderators... but I'm looking at your suggestion still and all I'm seeing a a description of EITP... The main page has both features and news

Perhaps what you'd like to see is the two pages tied more closely together?
    That could definitely work. They use the antionline forums as content for the EIT page, no reason it couldn't come back the other way... How many people on here are even aware that the AO forums are used on EITP? I certainly agree that it doesn't make sense for EITP or AO to compete, but they could leverage the material that is already being generated on EITP to enhance this site.

but they could leverage the material that is already being generated on EITP to enhance this site.
    I agree with this 100%.. In any event, I'm on the "Top 10 Posters" list and I know you don't want to interview me, Neg.. So are you sure you'd like to reform this, or should HTRegz and I conduct this? In either case, it doesn't matter to me.. I'm sure you're busier than myself as well..
    Space For Rent.. =]

Antionline Herpetologist
    *Ahem*, back on topic, I'd like to see thehorse13 interviewed. I have a feeling he leads a *very* interesting professional life .

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Neg sent me the thing yesterday so I filled it out. So there is another coming up soon.

And yea TheHorse lives an interesting life. Believe me lol.