Thread: Poking ports

Poking ports

Ok here's the deal: My dad is kinda pissed. Not because of me but because of "stuff" that I won't go into further. And I like to spend time online, lets just say alot. Now the problem is that he wants to shut ports down in the router so that I don't have acces to the internet with certain things like games, irc etc. I want to know if there is a program that checks if the port is open.
    Now I know you're going to say:"why not run the program?". Well we've been having problems with our ISP wich sometimes causes our connection to either be down or go on and off like a little kid playing with a light switch (very annoying).
    Anyone got any idea's?

Thanks in advance, DakX
    [T]he future is now.

nmap?

any port scanner...

Well we've been having problems with our ISP wich sometimes causes our connection to either be down or go on and off like a little kid playing with a light switch (very annoying).
    But why worry about the ports for the issue of a ISP connection problem?.. if your using a form of DSL then the issue could very well be your Phone line..

Have you considered checking the problem with your ISP?.. it helps.. and it will help then in taking the problem to your telephone provider.. Plain Old Copper in the POTS is a pain in the rear end..

So I rephrase the question.. Is your problem the ISP.. or that your Dad is blocking your gaming..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Originally posted here by Und3ertak3r

So I rephrase the question.. Is your problem the ISP.. or that your Dad is blocking your gaming..
    Its the isp, we've checked.

So any port scanner will do? Got any favorits, recomendations?
    [T]he future is now.

AOs Resident Troll
    Change ISPs....everytime I threaten to change mine...the service\equipment gets better...and the rates get cheap..
    ...as they are not keeping thier end of the contract.

You can try lowering the MTU setting on the router...that sometimes works with stopping continued disconnects.

Most routers block incoming ports...are you talking about out going ports???

Are you hosting games behind the router.???

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Hmmmm,

I don't know if you appreciated Und3ertak3r's comment? You have a Telco and an ISP. Now, they may be the same corporate body, but I am pretty certain that organisationally they are quite separate.

Unless you are absolutely certain that it is the ISP, I would chase the Telco side of things as well. It is surprising what variation you can get in an area of no more than a hectare due to the variable quality of the copper wire connections If this is your problem, then it is the Telco engineers who have to fix it.

Morgana~ has a very practical solution as well. If you threaten to change ISPs they just put you on a "business" account so you have less contention and a better service............ they won't tell you, but they won't charge you