Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: telnetting probs

Question telnetting probs

I have little prob with telnet can anyone please help me. I just told my friend to be online,and while i was chating with him i told i am going to hack your computer. I asked him his ip address. I then port scanned his IP address and found the port 21 open( and some other ports too). I telnetted him on the port 21 ( iam using the XP telnet which works in dos mode). My screen first went blank and the it prompted me "Press any key to continue". When i pressed the space bar it went nothing , then after 5 or ten seconds the screen returned to the normal telnet screen with my previous commands typed and new message "Connection to host lost". I tried it several times, but on every server, the same thing happens. Can anyone please help me with that.
    Or atleast please tell why is this happening so that i may understand the prob

Well, if you check what port 21 is usually used for you will probly find the answer to that question. Then again you might have connected to your friends honeypot, and had your system compromised by doing so.

welcome to AO ... it is possible to use telnet to connect to an FTP server ... I am not sure why you would want to though with the built in FTP from the command line, or with the crapload of free FTP programs... and it very well could be a honeypot like spamdies said... Eh... why are you trying to 'hack' your friends computer? regardless, this isn't really a forum to come to and ask how to hack... you will get alot of negative replies, and possibly banned for that...
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Without trying to sound rude - If you're trying to Telent to the WRONG port to 'hack' your friends computer.......chances are when/if you do connect...you won't know what to do next anyways..............

Say he has a Telnet server running and you manage to connect to it (on port 23) ..... what would you do next........

He DOES have a telnet server running I take it?

i just wanted to be 'cool' infront of my friend.
    HE wanted to give me a file and i thought, he would be surprised to the file with me already. So i tried the following thing, but then everything went mess...
    What can i do now. MY friend circle is right now into the HACKING and we are trying out different resoruces and forums.
    we all have each others IP address so that when we get something new we can prove it. Can you please help me with any resource or forum...

http://tazforum.**********.com

At least you are honest!

A very quick and basic point you need to keep in mind is:

As you probably know, you don't connect to the actual 'computer' - you connect to a service that the computer is running. This could be a service that the OS is running, eg, NetBIOS or a Third Party Service eg, VNC

To talk to other computers most services use ports.

For to most part - a service will use a pre-defined port by default.

So if you scan a computers ports - you can find out what service is running. Take your Telnet service for example - it runs on port 23 - you scan a computer, see port 23 is open and the chances are it is running a telnet server.

Once you have a list of used ports and services, then research these services to see what they do - if you find one that interests you then research how you can 'exploit' this service in to using it to do what you need it to.

can you please explain me how to 'exploit' the service or give me any resources for this. This problem is really going on my nerves now. I told it to one of my friend he too couldn't solve this prob. What basic error am i making??...

Just Another Geek
    The basic error, as all newbies do, is you're trying to run before you can walk

You first need to now what the service is you're trying to "exploit".
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Indeed young jedi, trying to look "cool" will get you screwed up faster than anything.

Yeah..........THis is a great place to learn about network defense and general security practices. If you want to learn to hack it dosent happen overnight and it actually takes years. If you want a place to go practice and not get arrested try some of the free online hack sites like www.hackthissite.org or some of the others. Good place to learn the concepts then expand on them and let your mind do the work.

One think I learned a long time ago is that most sites and people you find in the security arena ar not very open about teaching each other to "hack". Set yourself up with some reading and learn the basic concepts. If you can swing a few bucks to buy a book or 2 to get you started I recommend:

CounterHack Reloaded - Written by Ed Skouis - SANS Instructor and Incident Handler - Very good read if your new
    Cisco Press: Penetration Testing and Network Defense

Search the web for:
    Footprinting
    NMAP Tutorial
    Firewalk Tutorial
    Enumeration
    Those should keep you busy for a few days at least.
    \"Common Sense, isn\'t that common\"
    \"It is a lot easier to raise a child then it is to repair an adult\"
    -Kruptos